or Connect

Posts by kasper007

I definitely don't think 28 is too old. as a matter of fact, it's actually the average age at most top schools. however, keep in mind that due to the nature of MBA recruiting , you're very unlikely to benefit from the extra year of work experience so i would encourage you to apply as soon as possible. I was 31 at matriculation (I graduated late at 25 due to a double major and an extended gap years + 6 years of work experience) and while I think age really isn't a factor...
I think the distance factor is something that many people don't properly consider when choosing a MBA. Pretty much only consulting firms (and banks to a certain extent) run on-campus global recruiting processes so while going to the best schools will open a lot of doors, it will still require multiple trips (sometimes / often on your own dime) to the places where you want to work. Choosing a school that is in or near your preferred location is a smart move. Although i...
i'm in my final year of my mba and can definitely attest to that. banking certainly doesn't have the pull on students it once had. outside of the relatively small group who truly wanted a banking job (did info sessions and coffee chats, etc) and who all got an offer, there were very few applicants. true that tech is attracting a lot of people, but so is buy-side finance and consulting. 75% of my class applied to McKinsey and almost 40% of the class is going to MBB... the...
shouldn't you start by asking the partners first before you ask the internet???that being said, very few firms have associates source deals. some growth equity firms (summit, TA) are notorious for having their associates spend a significant portion of their time cold calling, but it's generally the partners' job to originate deals. search funds are probably the closest thing in the microcap space and cold calling / sending letter, etc to literally thousands of firms is...
my rule for a perfect leg opening is that the pant should only dover the first eyelet when i'm wearing oxford. it usually works out to 7.5 - 7.75" in and i'm 6'0 and 170 lb
i can't help but see a little contraction between these two statements. At the end of the day, you do what you want, but if you heart is set on NYC, given your educational background, i would think you would significantly increase your chance of success by targeting other east coast offices (philly, NJ, DC, etc) et requesting a transfer after a year or two. Actually have a friend who struck a deal to work in Philly office, but live in NYC (he does his friday office day in...
McK makes you wait a year before you can reapply after an unsuccessful application, i'm assuming Bain and BCG do the same. At your level, minimal if any recruitment is done off season and networking only gets you so far. Unlike finance where interviews are more geared toward fit and having built relationships with professionals really helps, the recruiting process at MBB is extremely fair and nailing those case studies counts for 90%+ of the hiring decision. Probably not...
i think others have explained this, but anyway it's simple math, PE firms need more associates (pre-MBA) than they do need senior associates (post-MBA) so you see attrition at the MBA level. Far from scientific, but i'd say that most firms will have a senior associate class that's maybe a 1/3 or 1/2 at most of their associate class therefore so many/most firms do not hire MBAs as they are already full from the return offers they gave to their best associates. So you have a...
wanting to switch career is a very legitimate reason to do an MBA. however, given your background, i would frame it (assuming you take the internship) as wanting to get finance exposure more broadly. finding pe jobs for grads with prior pe experience is already hard enough let alone the nightmare of dealing with and managing expectations of those with prior BB IB or MBB experience, the last thing a bschool would want is to have to deal with another pe hopeful who...
lol, found that so funny i actually posted it to his fb post haha