or Connect

Posts by nootje

Of course it isn't, otherwise our respective governments would have done it a while ago The unions in this case aren't the right platform to fight this fight. Instead, and this is already being done in the Netherlands, the construction companies are required to pay the national minimum wage, irrespective of the nationality of the worker. It still drives wages down to that level, but it lowers the threshold quite a bit to make use of a more skilled Dutch worker vs a Polish...
I might have altered my language a bit to please my intended audience.
Then why not help wages go up, or tax them less? The unions here have been very destructive in that they only take care of their older cadres and stiffing the younger ones, and at the same time only targeting industries where they already had it good.. Migration has indeed put downward pressure on them, but thus far our respective governments have done very little to counteract this or even helped driving them down. Our welfare states are a different problem, where the...
Did you even catch what most of the votes were about? They wanted to stop immigration, something impossible to have without the common market. As Fuuma indicated, even though the EU has a parliament it can only act on economic measures, and only a limited set at that (social economic ones are still very much the domain of the nation states).There is a current backlash toward the european commission, as indicated by Merkel telling Juncker to step down as she sees him as...
Except that in this case the police was very happy to sell him crack at a high price in the first place and was scared that he couldn't pay the bills racked up so far if he stayed in that pond. Also, the aforementioned crack junkie was already forced to sell all of his belongings to the police officer during the first psychotic episode. Lastly, the police officer wanted his crack racket to continue so he had to make sure he was the one to rescue him instead of the...
The Market outside the UK is quite large for the Germans as well ;-) and, from my end I would miss Jaguars on the road. Having grown up with a line of Daimler double sixes spanning the 80s and 90s I would say that there was some commitment to the brand.. Anyway, that's not going to happen, worst is that they become a lot more expensive on the mainland, and germans/French and Italians likewise on the island.Btw, there are good steel plants in the UK, however the majority is...
Indeed, tnx fuuma
Unless you want to end up with the type of problems Alfa Romeo had in the 80s I would advise against using your steel mills for the car industry, and I'm only slightly exaggerating here. Otherwise, yeah you would have to leave the eu for your government to be able to nationalize or heavily subsidize it.It's a pity, but 30 years of resisting restructuring and moving toward higher quality goods have led up to this situation. From a business perspective I would say take the...
http://www.eef.org.uk/uksteel/About-the-industry/Steel-facts/Trade.htmQuite a bit of high quality variants, which will be subject to negotiation, otherwise you will have to get them from the US or Japan. Have fun negotiating with them. Meanwhile, the U.K. Produces low quality steel for Asia, already not the best market and one that will take years to renegotiate, as Asia is a bit more protectionist than Europe.. Which leaves my point to stand, the British steel industry...
My remark is about FDI, which is a business I work in. It boils down to this, no business in their right mind will invest in an economy dependent on trade when the circumstances of trade are not secure. Ask yourself, why invest millions in a business, be it greenfield, brownfield or M&A when you can't determine the margins due to the tariffs being under negotiation, FOR THE COMING YEARS. That's opportunity loss..The corus plants in the bbc article could not operate with a...