or Connect

Posts by tradernick

That first lot is too much value. Send it to me, I'll give them to a bigger friend if they don't fit me.
These have to be a steal for someone!
Quote: Originally Posted by embowafa If it were a muted blue and muted blue socks, then that would seem a bit more appropriate. But the bigger issue, in my opinion, is more the matchy-matchy. Using your example, blue socks with a pink shirt PLUS a pocket square or tie that marries the two would be a lot better looking. Yes, this is the level I want to get to. I guess that in the end I just have to experiement a bit and try to trust my...
Quote: Originally Posted by Osprey Guy I'd guess that I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 600-700 shirts... Where I'm going with all this is that I've always felt that when possible/practical, men should have fun with their clothes. Stop worrying so much about "rules"...Reach out and discover your own comfort level. And to that end...by all mean, match your socks with your shirts. I do. Dennis, thanks for that! I'll be looking hard...
vox et al, your pics allow one to really know what it means to be 'speechless'. I cannot tell you how much I covet that type of collection. I just bought my first pair of Ferragamos from a member here. I'll refrain from posting a pic.
Quote: Originally Posted by lordofpi To expand on my comment about matching socks to trousers, I definitely do follow this path at times. It's a nice way of using them to complement without having them stand out. If only there were more patterned OTC socks, I would probably be more adventurous. Btw, additional information for you, Tradernick, here in Sator's "A Brief History of Black in Dress History" thread. Thanks, I'll check that...
Quote: Originally Posted by embowafa I, personally, would never ever ever ever ever wear a solid pink shirt with solid pink socks. Even the ones you're looking at (130) are too much of a solid pink for me to like. To me, it screams cheesy. If, however, you were to wear a pair of black/charcoal socks with a pink pattern (argyle, stripes, polka dots) that would be a little more appropriate...essentially switch the colors of sock #130. my...
Quote: Originally Posted by daveboxster I'm a huge fan of Nagranis. I probably have 40 pairs and am in recovery for buying more. There are some awesome black-based designs that have a lot of pizazz to them. TrojanMan is selling some of them that I have and just love to wear with black slacks and my black suit. Paul Smith striped socks would be cool as well. Also, I think matching your socks to your shirt is fine. I'm not a huge fan of a big...
Quote: Originally Posted by tlmusic I am also a gigging musician, and a couple times a year I am usually asked to wear a black suit. I much prefer navy or charcoal. This is the world famous SF black suit thread-- http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=8221 All you need to know about the topic--and more. Hey tl, nice to encounter another muso here. Thanks for the link, it'll be my bedtime reading before crashing tonight. I've...
Quote: Originally Posted by lordofpi Oh, and by the way, warm welcome to you. Don't take my first paragraph above too seriously, but you'll see what I mean if you hang around a little while (not that I disagree with the no-black-suits premise, but it can get a little ferocious). I got a laugh out of your post but at the same time I sensed that there's some truth to it. I had seen a few oblique references to the 'black suits are verboten' here...