Posts by freshcutgrass

I really don't know the source of your opinion, but like I said, it sounds more anecdotal rather than through direct comparison (as Accuphase is difficult to beat dollar-for-dollar). And you use the term "Japanese" like it represents a certain sound or level of quality. Accuphase is a brand that only makes high end. The big Japanese companies make everything from cheapo to the best ever made and everything in between. What models of what brands are you comparing?Back...
I wouldn't say that. They are just a clique in the hi fi community. I've listened to the standard LP12/NAP-NAC/LS35A combo and I understand the appeal. Some people find that synergy the best and have no interest in anything beyond that.I on the other hand, am a bit less formulaic and tend towards the more exotic.
That was the golden age of audio. I never bought anything from a big box store...you bought from one of your local independant hi fi stores, of which there was plenty (and now there are very few). I practically lived at Brack Electronics here in TO. They also had a huge trade-in section as I mostly bought my stuff used (and still do).Point being, that at the time, vinyl was still king, and every manufacturer up to this point had to include a phono stage. So phono...
The one guy you encountered is just too isolated and anecdotal to support your theory. I'm in Toronto and cruise Canuckaudiomart on a regular basis. Accuphase isn't a common brand showing up on the used market at all. It may get snapped up because for that reason...plus they offer great value and sound great. Accuphase was never anything but high end. In the 70's, they were referred to as the "Japanese McIntosh", but they sound nothing like them. They have some of...
Considering your Linn, Creek, Sugden, Naim suggestions, I think I know the type...all that "prat" nonsense and explains the completely unsubstantiated anti-Japanese stereotyping and poo-pooing. I owned a Nait 1....it's a cute little toy but was inadequate in every way....fastest thing I ever replaced. That's all entry level stuff that does nothing exceptionally well at all. Exposure would be more my choice for Brit gear. Musical Fidelity has some nice stuff, but the...
Plenty of fantastic integrated amps from the mid 80's with excellent phono stages (MC included) to be had in that price range. Back when cds hadn't become popular, good phono stages were usually not separate components, but part of high end preamps and integrated amps. Plenty to choose from, but I would give Accuphase gear the nod....no real weak points...nice amplification, great line stage and excellent phono stage. For low output moving coil they even use a first...
just picked up one of these along with a 15 IPS recording of Coleman Hawkins. Heavens to Murgatroyd...it's dandy sounding!
Finally picked up a Tandberg 3001 tuner. And my my...it lives up to its reputation. Surprising how analogue FM broadcasts can sound so stunningly good.
Classic Peter Blake At auction
I love both Evans and Memphis (PoMo in general). In fact, I think they should be mixed together.In a fit of nostalgia, I've decided to bring back the Patrick Nagel print.