or Connect

Posts by jcusey

This is a Serbian-style apricot rakia produced by Dorcol, a craft distiller in San Antonio. What I have found on the web suggests that the fermentation and first distillation takes place in Serbia and the second distillation in SAT. Whatever, it's excellent: pure essence of apricots in alcoholic form, and much smoother than I would have expected an unaged spirit to be. It's expensive, and i would imagine that distribution outside of Texas is iffy at best; but it's a...
In honor of Bastille Day: Geoffroy is one of Terry Theise's producers, and this is his basic NV. My bottle was disgorged in 2011 and has the old label, and I got a deal because the distributor was trying to get rid of the old to make room for the new. This is very good -- lots of toastiness, round, tart but not too tart. God bless Terry Theise.
I love that stuff. It's an auto-buy for me every year. The white version is very tasty, too.
I do. He's much more interested in ampelography than are the authors of the Jancis Robinson grape book, and he's not nearly as high on DNA analysis. It's also a more personal book. I like the Jancis approach better, but there's a lot of information here that you won't find in the Jancis book (or any other book that I know of).
The Produttori Langhe is about $23 around here, so I would think that you could get it for $20 or less up there. There's also a producer named Guidobono that does a very creditable Langhe Nebbiolo for around $15. But yes, it's getting difficult to find even decent Barbera or Dolcetto for $20.On a completely unrelated note, I had the 2006 version of this over the past couple of nights:Really nice -- very floral, high acid, lots of earthiness, not a whole lot of pyrazines....
This is a super necro-post, but I saw this while searching the thread.I have tried the framboise and the poire. I really like the framboise -- in addition to the raspberry, there's herbal thing going on that's very nice. The poire is fine; but most of the time, I'd rather just have a pommeau or a calvados.
I had this on Friday and Saturday. Considerable oak, but not the buttered popcorn effect that you sometimes get. Golden yellow, leesy, bright acidity, good citrus fruit, excellent concentration, not overly-alcoholic. Just excellent. I've previously had Kumeu River's entry-level chard and the '07 Hunting Hill chard, and both were similarly very enjoyable. The '09 of their other single-vinyard chard (Coddington) is currently in queue, and I'm excited to try it. Here's a...
I've liked everything I've had from Broc, including the white zin, believe it or not (under 12% ABV and bone-dry). I think that there is a non-trivial amount of very old Carignan in California -- it was one of the common minor players in the old-style field blends, and who would bother to plant it now, at least outside of the Central Valley? Anyway, people increasingly seem to realize that it can make decent wine if it's handled well. (The same is true for other...
You know, it might have helped if I had paid attention to the restaurant name in the URL. It strikes me that that list us a combination of Easter eggs for wine geeks and bait for label-humpers. The Easter eggs are generally well-priced according to my lights (2x retail or less) and the bait doesn't appear to be. My only real complaint is the relative dearth of well-price Champagne.
I'm not going to claim that that list is a shining example of new-wave, low-multiple wine lists, and it's certainly the case that a lot of the stuff on that is not well-priced. However, there are a number of good options for around $40/bottle and significantly more for around $60/bottle. I would not be disappointed to be presented that list, even with $24 entrees.