or Connect

Posts by jcusey

Which bottling?(Apropos of your request for riesling recommendations last week, Vajra makes a really good one, strangely enough. Who knew there was riesling in the Langhe? It's a bit pricey, though.)
Had the 2014 version of this yesterday: (Not my picture.) One of the more enjoyable wine "discoveries" I have made over the past couple of years has been Semillon from Brokenwood in the Hunter Valley in Australia. It's not at all what you would expect from an Australian white if you haven't done much experimenting: it's high-acid and low alcohol and sees no oak: just a refreshing, characterful wine that's also pretty inexpensive. The Sadie Kokerboom (which is a blend...
With the caveat that I have not had either of these wines specifically but have had others from the same brand (in one case) or producer (in the other) that I thought were very good:1. Scarpetta -- this is Bobby Stuckey's label, and all the wines I have had from it (Friulano, the rosato spumante, and the Barbera) have been very nice and well-priced. I think the Pinot Grigio is priced in the high teens.2. Venica & Venica -- a well-respected producer from Friuli. I have...
Maybe De Margerie?We had a Le Mesnil brut NV (produced by the Union des Proprietaires Recoltants co-op in Le Mesnil sur Oger) and an '04 Pierre Gimonnet Special Club. The Le Mesnil was not earth-shaking, but it was everything a good BdB Champagne should be. It was also very, very cheap (for Champagne). I really like Gimonnet in general, but this bottle didn't do much for me. If I can find another bottle, I'll try again to see if I was just off.Also had an '07 Pierre Peters...
You can get the basic Huet for around $30, I think. Champalou, imported by Kermit Lynch, is also pretty reliable and should be closer to $20 than $30.
Which producer?I have read (but i can't remember where, so take it for what it's worth) that Sancerre Rouge was much more common 50 or 60 years ago and that it was frequently used as the house red at Paris restaurants. Regardless, it's hard enough to find in the US now. I have seen one from Lucien Crochet (imported by Neal Rosenthal, so it's probably pretty good, if not much of a bargain), and that's about it.I have had a Pinot/Gamay blend from Domaine Salvard in Cheverny...
Beer. But if you must have wine, off-dry riesling.
Infanticide!/Manton
Bugey-Cerdon. Off-dry, not as carbonated as m├ęthode champenoise sparklers. Typically a very deep rose made mostly from gamay. Patrick Bottex, one of Kermit the Frog's producers, makes a good one.In the same vein is FRV100 (it's a pun) from JP Brun in Beaujolais.Completely different but very good is txakoli from the Basque country in Spain. Both the white and rose versions are tart, saline, slightly effervescent, and very drinkable. Ameztoi seems to be fairly widely...
A place I go to regularly had this BTG frequently for a while last year, and I've had it a few times. I don't have much experience with older whites, but this one wasn't for me. I thought it tasted like mushrooms, and I don't really like mushrooms. The bottles were fine -- good storage, freshly opened -- and people who know more than I do and whose opinions respect had reactions similar to yours.I've loved everything I've had from Guiberteau, both the reds and the whites.