or Connect

Posts by jcusey

I've liked everything I've had from Broc, including the white zin, believe it or not (under 12% ABV and bone-dry). I think that there is a non-trivial amount of very old Carignan in California -- it was one of the common minor players in the old-style field blends, and who would bother to plant it now, at least outside of the Central Valley? Anyway, people increasingly seem to realize that it can make decent wine if it's handled well. (The same is true for other...
You know, it might have helped if I had paid attention to the restaurant name in the URL. It strikes me that that list us a combination of Easter eggs for wine geeks and bait for label-humpers. The Easter eggs are generally well-priced according to my lights (2x retail or less) and the bait doesn't appear to be. My only real complaint is the relative dearth of well-price Champagne.
I'm not going to claim that that list is a shining example of new-wave, low-multiple wine lists, and it's certainly the case that a lot of the stuff on that is not well-priced. However, there are a number of good options for around $40/bottle and significantly more for around $60/bottle. I would not be disappointed to be presented that list, even with $24 entrees.
Point taken. I respectfully withdraw the "intentional".
Thanks for being intentionally obtuse. As I'm sure you recognize, 15% alcohol in a dry white wine is sufficiently unusual to require explanation. It turns out that Yquem harvests the Semillon portion of the wine once the grapes have started to be infected by botrytis. (The Sauvignon Blanc is harvested at the beginning of the vintage, though, so I wonder just how infected the Semillon grapes have to be to get the aggregate potential alcohol that high.) It also turns out...
15% alcohol? Holy crap.
Armand de Brignac Ace of Spades, obviously.Were I you, I'd do vintage Egly-Ouriet. Or maybe something like Bollinger Vieilles Vignes Francaises. That is, not just expensive but something you don't see everyday. But then, I crave novelty. YMMV.
Produttori may be the king because their Langhe Nebbiolo is reliable, cheap, and omni-present; but just about every quality Barolo and Barbaresco producer ( Aldo Conterno, Vietti, Vajra, Cigliuti, Marchesi di Gresy, Oddero, and on and on) has one worth trying, and just about all of them are in the $20-$30 range.
I wonder if there's some bottle variation with this. I had this recently, and I thought it was decent: it had all the characteristics I would expect from Nebbiolo, although perhaps a bit muted. (I agree with what the others who replied to this said, however -- for good, cheap-ish Nebbiolo, go with Langhes from good Barolo and Barbaresco producers.)
I don't know enough to be able to judge best, but the most enjoyable/memorable were:Sparkling: Marie-Courtin Efflorescence 2007White: Peter Lauer Riesling Ayler Kupp Fass 6 (Senior) 2012Red: Moric Blaufrankisch 2010 and Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Rosso 2012