or Connect

Posts by jcusey

You can get the basic Huet for around $30, I think. Champalou, imported by Kermit Lynch, is also pretty reliable and should be closer to $20 than $30.
Which producer?I have read (but i can't remember where, so take it for what it's worth) that Sancerre Rouge was much more common 50 or 60 years ago and that it was frequently used as the house red at Paris restaurants. Regardless, it's hard enough to find in the US now. I have seen one from Lucien Crochet (imported by Neal Rosenthal, so it's probably pretty good, if not much of a bargain), and that's about it.I have had a Pinot/Gamay blend from Domaine Salvard in Cheverny...
Beer. But if you must have wine, off-dry riesling.
Bugey-Cerdon. Off-dry, not as carbonated as méthode champenoise sparklers. Typically a very deep rose made mostly from gamay. Patrick Bottex, one of Kermit the Frog's producers, makes a good one.In the same vein is FRV100 (it's a pun) from JP Brun in Beaujolais.Completely different but very good is txakoli from the Basque country in Spain. Both the white and rose versions are tart, saline, slightly effervescent, and very drinkable. Ameztoi seems to be fairly widely...
A place I go to regularly had this BTG frequently for a while last year, and I've had it a few times. I don't have much experience with older whites, but this one wasn't for me. I thought it tasted like mushrooms, and I don't really like mushrooms. The bottles were fine -- good storage, freshly opened -- and people who know more than I do and whose opinions respect had reactions similar to yours.I've loved everything I've had from Guiberteau, both the reds and the whites.
This is a Serbian-style apricot rakia produced by Dorcol, a craft distiller in San Antonio. What I have found on the web suggests that the fermentation and first distillation takes place in Serbia and the second distillation in SAT. Whatever, it's excellent: pure essence of apricots in alcoholic form, and much smoother than I would have expected an unaged spirit to be. It's expensive, and i would imagine that distribution outside of Texas is iffy at best; but it's a...
In honor of Bastille Day: Geoffroy is one of Terry Theise's producers, and this is his basic NV. My bottle was disgorged in 2011 and has the old label, and I got a deal because the distributor was trying to get rid of the old to make room for the new. This is very good -- lots of toastiness, round, tart but not too tart. God bless Terry Theise.
I love that stuff. It's an auto-buy for me every year. The white version is very tasty, too.
I do. He's much more interested in ampelography than are the authors of the Jancis Robinson grape book, and he's not nearly as high on DNA analysis. It's also a more personal book. I like the Jancis approach better, but there's a lot of information here that you won't find in the Jancis book (or any other book that I know of).