or Connect

Posts by bishop24

Reviving this thread to see if anyone has had any experience with EG belts? In particular, what kind of buckle do they use? Having a bitch of a time finding beltmakers who use leathers that have the same level of antiquing as some of the shoes we are all so fond of. On that note, JL had a few belts on display at their factory store when I was there, but they all looked highly underwhelming. Don't remember the price either unfortunately...
Rest assured I haven't blown you guys off. I wouldn't let the feelings of a few ruin it for all of you guys. Work keeps me busy, particularly on the weekends so I probably won't have the EG installment ready until next week as it is a photo-heavy one. However, until then, I can offer you a small installment regarding my visits to C&J and G&G. CROCKETT & JONES As with Lobb, I thought it might be best to e-mail C&J to let them know about the possibility of my visit....
For what it's worth, my intention in taking these photos was never to take advantage of hospitality offered. The rooms that you see are adjacent to each other. When I was let into the building by one of their middle-aged Japanese workers, the shop was still closed and so they led me into the conference room right next door. There, an older gentlemen, who as sysdoc indicates was one of their clickers, offered me a coffee. The lady who ran the shop arrived and I left...
To answer a few people's questions: I e-mailed Tony with a request to visit his main "factory" (in quotes because it really is just his home) of operations when I knew that I would be visiting Northampton. He actually lives in Kettering which is about a 15-20 minute drive. He mentioned that it might be a bit of a costly taxi ride and so offered to pick me up at Crockett & Jones since he had to be in town anyway to pick up some shoe trees that were being made for him. I...
I wanted to thank everyone for all the knowledge I've gained from having been a long-time lurker on the forum. I recently took a vacation to London to visit some friends and family and decided, as a direct result of reading posts here, to take a day trip to Northampton (February 23, 2007). I took the train--about an hour long ride--into Northampton and from there took taxis to visit John Lobb, Edward Green, and Crockett & Jones at which point Tony Gaziano very kindly...
they're not specifically targeted for men, although i think they might have a men's line that i don't use, but my skin has never been better than when i was using l'occitane products (the immortelle line in particular). of course, that was when it was more combination/oily and so the lighter moisturizers helped to really control oil and break-outs. kind of pricey, but worth it in my opinion. lately my skin has gone from combination/oily to dry. am using weleda's...
ditto to pho, sushi, soft-shell crab, scallops, porcinis, bacon, espresso. gin and tonic thai soups kumamotos roe -- salmon, caviar john dory butter-poached lobster mushrooms -- enoki, lion's mane, oyster, cepes, morels, chanterelles, truffles obviously duck -- peking, confit pork -- berkshire belly, suckling pig, bbq pork, dumplings, serrano ham lamb, pretty much any way you can do it braised short ribs sweetbreads liver -- veal, duck, foie (just a little, seared) orzo,...
Thanks for all the advice. I never wanted a ticket pocket or peak lapels to begin with, but I was using those as examples of some customization options that I was never presented which could have indicated many more that weren't given to me that I still am not aware of. I can understand why more eccentric options would not always be offered outright (as disappointed as I may be about that prospect), especially to a customer who was undergoing MTM for the first time. ...
Sounds like you're looking for something romantic but not too formal. I can't give you the best advice regarding ambience--I think everyone has their own idea of what's suitably romantic, but I can talk a bit about food. I'd say good value for some awesome food right now can be had at: Niagara Street Cafe Jamie Kennedy Wine Bar Senhor Antonio's (Chiado's tapas bar) Lee Have not been yet, but I hear that Thuet's revamp (his bistro) is doing wonders for his...
Am fairly new to the forum and have been lurking and reading like a fiend. You guys are seriously great and I'm learning a ton. Went in the other week to get measured for a Zegna MTM 3-piece charcoal pinstripe at Harry Rosen (I'm in Toronto). Having no experience in MTM and only a very basic understanding of what the available customization options are, I mostly just answered the questions that the tailor asked. What worries me is that he didn't ask about surgeon's...