or Connect

Posts by Bouji

Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Well, the professors I know, and the ones I have met -- in this country and elsewhere -- are not upper class even by the above definition. They certainly don't have millions in antiques in their home. To make things clear, these antiques have been handed down over generations, they haven't been bought at Bonhams) and they hold peerages. Those who contribute to or form society are considered upper...
Quote: Originally Posted by CTGuy I think the problem here is that in the U.S. class=money. We're the Horatio Alger society where you make your own class. I don't think this is very European. Exactly, in Europe class can have absolutely nothing to do with money. I know of families who have £23,000,000 + worth of antiques in there home, and yet they drive cars like Renaults and earn not more than about £60,000 a year for the whole household....
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Funny, I went to an acadamic conference in Germany earlier this year, and one of the things that struck me was how envious of American universities and academics all the European profs and administrators -- some of them presidents -- were. I don't see the correlation between being envious of an American university/academic and considering a professor upper class.
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton In what country are professors upper class? I should have stuck with academia. I'd say that the overwhelming view in Europe is that your class is directly proportional to your contribution to society. I mean it's an age old saying that class does not = money.
I don't know what you're basing your categories on... e.g. is lower class = peasants, homeless working class = janitors, assembly line workers middle class = clerks, drivers, butlers, civil servants upper-middle class = doctors, lawyers, teachers, politicians, artists, managers upper class = aristocracy, gentry, landlords, upper ranks of military, professors, law lords ? Also, if you're taking this poll seriously it should be anonymous...
Just returned, perhaps I'm spoilt, but I'm thoroughly disappointed. To make things clear I am a seasoned traveler, and the only continent I have not been to is South America, I wouldn't say Tokyo is the worst in the world (to visit) but unfortunately the worst in East Asia (been to Bangkok, Singapore, KL, HK, Taipei, Koh Samui, Krabi and a few others). Landing in Narita, it was very clean, cleaner than most other cities in the world, and my journey to Shinjuku was quite...
last night Singaporean: Malay beef curry Black pepper lobster Sizzling beef steaks Morning glory with sambal Egg fried rice Banana Fritter w/ ice cream
Quote: Originally Posted by VKK3450 Hey! Bouji is back! Yeah, Khan's I'm not knowledgeable about. Have you tried Tayyabs in Whitechapel I went a couple of weeks ago. Damn it was good!! K Thanks for the welcome! I have not been to Tayyabs, must try it!
Thanks to all for the recs. I doubt I will venture out of Tokyo, as I'm there for just 6 days, and it seems vast enough. It seems to me that traveling about will be quite a hassle, I hate the tube in London esp. in the summer, is Tokyo's subway air-conditioned? Taxis seem like a waste of money, but seem like the only option that is convenient.. Is there much around the Park Hyatt, or am I better of spending time in Ginza, Roppongi etc.? Aprox. how long does it...
Quote: Originally Posted by VKK3450 Khan's used to be great when I traveled to London with my parents. You would have to line up outside before they opened to get a table. I havent been there since I moved here, but I hear that these days its nothing special K Khan's of Kensington and Khan's in Bayswater (Westbourne Grove) are two different things, and I think you're talking about Khan's Bayswater, because we'd had a chat about that...