or Connect

Posts by Bouji

Quote: Originally Posted by dusty I can see how you wouldn't have an exceptionally good time if you just treat Tokyo as another Asian city. If you're not already fascinated with some elements of Japanese culture, such as anime, or their history, or streetwear culture, etc., then yeah, it's probably nothing special. I think that sums it up. I was treating it like HK or Singapore.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim I don't really speak more than about six words of Japanese, and I've never had a problem navigating Tokyo or finding information on the internet. You mention the Mandarin Oriental as being something London offers that Tokyo doesnt.? Can you really be that bad at searching the internet that you didn't find it? Or the InterContinental, Le Meridien, or any other of the six dozen or so five star hotels in...
Quote: Originally Posted by Viktri akihabara? Why would you go there unless you're a big fan of anime? Were you on a tour - if so I can understand why your stay might have been less enjoyable. I don't understand the last sentence I quoted (why happy?). that's rather unfortunate. I've stayed at keio plaza and received a single free drink ticket and didn't use it because I spent all my nights out in bars then those after party late night bars...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim To be honest, I haven't been to Singapore, but I cannot possibly imagine this to be true. It has some of the same things sure, it has easy to find dining and entertainment? Ok. It has nice hotels? Sure. More "modern"? I might even buy that. (as far as architecture and public facilities goes, anyways) But the sheer variety and scope of options and experiences that Tokyo has is something that no lesser city can offer....
Which one do you like most, or all much of a muchness? Asahi Kirin Sapporo Orion Suntory Otaru
Quote: Originally Posted by RJman Bouji, didn't you write that you wear morning dress around town? I do once in a while, but we're not talking about me here.
[quote=FidelCashflow;1259514] Huh? What do 'upper class' Brits wear?
This is why in my first post I asked what is the definition of each classification, and gave my examples. It seems that the US definition might be: lower class annual income: < $10,000 middle class annual income > $25,000 upper class annual income > $200,000
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Again, all of the academics I have met have been from rather ordinary backgrounds. No 500 year old families. No manor houses. There were a few wealthy ones, but their parents had been in business, they were not aristocracy. I don't disagree with you but you mention 'wealthy', which really suggests to me that you haven't understood what I'm saying. A parody about the British Upper class that I found just...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton I guess what I am saying is, there are old families in the US, and maybe 50 or more years ago, some of their scions became profs, but that is not true any more. 99% of academics here are not upper class by any reasonable definition. I suppose, from reading English novels, that one of the ways to get rid of a bright younger son was to get him tenured at Oxford. But (and this is a smaller sample size) all of the...