or Connect

Posts by Bouji

Well some examples of London: Carluccio's (Italian chain) Glass of Sicilian white £3.30 Chicken liver pate on toasted ciabatta £4.75 Sea Bass £11.75 Espresso £1.45 = £21.25 Waitrose (Supermarket) 1/2 Bottle of Sicilian white £8.00 Chicken liver pate £2.99 Loaf of ciabatta £2.00 Fillet of Sea Bass £8.00 Sun dried tomatoes £2.00 Potatoes £1.50 Olive oil £0.50 Espresso £1.00 =£25.99 Another comparison Itsu (sushi) Tuna sashimi...
I eat light, but I eat out. A few reasons: 1. As mentioned, out prices are about the same as supermarket prices these days. 2. I like cooking but hate clearing up. 3. I often eat with several friends +gf, and I just feel that its more normal to do that in a restaurant.
Quote: Originally Posted by lefty I'm on verizon which works well, but their LG Dare just seems to pale compared to the iPhone. But if it works... lefty I used to use a Nokia N95, it promised a lot but rarely worked. I switched to a Blackberry, it may not promise as much, but it achieves a lot more than the N95 ever did.
Swim for 10 mins. Cardio 15 mins. Weights 10 mins. Long shower, sometimes steam/sauna. Go to the pub with friends / call friends over for drinks / have a drink alone with gf. Dinner, usually out to be honest, sometimes I cook for friends, sometimes they invite me, but mostly restaurants. Clubbing 2-3 nights a week, drinks at my place with friends around once a week, go to sleep at this stage other nights.
Quote: Originally Posted by CTGuy No one said class does not exist. As far as I can see, that is what you are trying to argue, with statements like, in today's world it is of little relevance and such like. Your own words: Quote: Originally Posted by CTGuy After all the whole construct is completely imaginary and made up. I think history has shown as of late there is almost no value in an aristocratic class...
Quote: Originally Posted by passingtime Class in the UK is social and not professional with income having little role at all. Largely people mix within their own class although obviously they will have friends from other classes but in business it's a meritocracy. To answer the accusation about glass ceilings since business is a meritocracy they don't really exist. The reason for this is the UK state education system that will take you as far as you...
Quote: Originally Posted by passingtime In the context of the UK the first of those is true and the second isn't. That's very true. I think he was picking up on a small point in my writing, which, if not read properly would seem like an inconsistency. I said that money is not indicative of class in the UK. I also mentioned that in the past, people often kept household staff (read both the upper and middle classes). Yet, I think its clear...
To say that a class system of any sort does not exist is naive to say the least. I also think it is very naive to consider that an upper class attempts to oppress lower classes. In times gone by, more people addressed each other with respect, regardless of their class - for example these days it is quite common to address letters/emails/phone-calls by first name, in the past such communication was done almost solely using formal terms such as sir and madame and the...
Quote: Originally Posted by VKK3450 Manton, the British perspective is hard to grasp unless you spend quite a bit of time in it and actively trying to understand it. Academia is even less cut and dry. As Bouji said, class here is not about money, and to many extents its not even about how well educated one is or how well one acts. It's a strange combination of things, and like obscenity "you just know it when you see it". While the academics that...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuro I don't believe that being part of the upper class can be measured by annual income, but if it could this number certainly is too low. Nor do I, but its what it seemed to be the system in America to me. Probably not...