or Connect

Posts by Bouji

Quote: Originally Posted by gdl203 Wha? No carbs in Italian cuisine beyond pasta? Never heard that one before - they use the same carbs as French cuisine (potatoes, beans, etc...) + their own (e.g. polenta). I still don't see why Italian cuisine needs bread while French doesn't. Osteria, Trattoria and Retaurants outside Italy may differ, but in a proper Ristorante there won't be carbs in a contorno, it will just be something like...
Quote: Originally Posted by gdl203 Actually this is not far from what you'd get at his NYC place Adour Hahah You have to be joking? Perhaps Ducasse, with his recent expansion (read: world domination), is not the best example.
Quote: Originally Posted by gdl203 Sorry I don't understand why they would need bread more than other cuisines... ? Antipasti: Prosciutto Crudo con Melone Primi: Carpaccio di Manzo Secondi: Cotoletta alla Milanese Dolce: Pesca cotta in camicia = No carbs, perhaps need bread.
Quote: Originally Posted by gdl203 I would note that in Italy (and maybe other places), you actually pay for it (pane e coperto) True... As I say though, the Italians may 'need' bread. Although I don't know if 1 Euro (the coperto in a 2 Michelin star restaurant in Milan which I ate at) is enough to deter.
Quote: Originally Posted by ReJoyce It is ludicrous to extend this observation to the French. Bread, cheese, and wine are the culinary trinity. ........ So I next time I go to Alain Ducasse, I will sit down and expect nothing but good ordinary claret, pain de menage and some Roquefort? WTF?
Lunch yesterday (Boxwood Cafe): Glass of 2003 Langlois Château, Saumur Blanc "˜Vieilles Vignes' Pan fried black Bream with mussels clams and leeks. Side of spinach with oyster mushrooms. Passion fruit parfait with chocolate sorbet. Lunch today (Clos Maggiore) Half bottle of Castello di Fonterutoli Chianti Classico 2006 Boudin Blanc with peas and morels Roast Gloucester pork chop potatoes and pak choi Glass of Maison Vedeau Muscat de Frontignan,...
Quote: Originally Posted by auto90403 I don't follow. Are you suggesting that bread is somehow not central to European cuisines? No, I am asking why restaurants serve it. Re-read question... Quote: "Give us this day our daily bread" -- that ring a bell? So what? 1. You use a Christian-centric quote, when in fact most of modern western Europe is atheist with the exception of Italy, which I'm ignoring for this question...
It seems like this is expected and never questioned. In certain cases I can see the reason, Central/South Asian cuisine- Unless you're eating rice, that is what the food is eaten with; unlike western cuisine, in these cuisines its used 'to scoop it up', not accompany. Italian cuisine - If you don't have a 'primi' then the meal can lack carbs and not be filling. As far as French/British/American/Spanish/German/Fusion/Haute/whatever cuisine goes, I really cannot...
Quote: Originally Posted by Britalian Touché.... I only thread title. Your command of the English language leaves much to be desired, sir.
Quote: Originally Posted by Britalian What is this 'Somehow'? Where can I get it over here in the Old World? London is more old world than the union of Italy kind sir.