or Connect

Posts by MrG

FWIW, I'll occasionally have pulled pork without sauce, but that is only when I'm at a Carolina-style place with awesome pork (I hate Carolina sauce but like the pork). However, given the choice, I'll always take good sauce over no sauce. Ribs without sauce is weird. I know people do it, but it's weird. Eschewing sauce categorically is also odd, but strange BBQ preferences aren't altogether shocking from a Kentuckian.
I'm just about to finish up Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air (I'm done with the narrative, so all that's left is the postscript). When I started reading it, I had zero desire to climb Mount Everest. After reading it, I have even less desire to climb Mount Everest! Still, it was an excellent read, and I enjoyed it so much that I've already put Into the Wild on my Kindle to read next. I'm hoping to start it today or tomorrow, as soon as I'm done with the postscript to Into Thin...
I did a five-mile hike in the mountains on Saturday. I haven't been hiking much lately, and this was a pretty strenuous one, so I was a little worried I'd be in a good bit of pain today (I'm a two-day sore person). I've been a little achy/stiff for the last couple of days, but that's about it. Plus, it was an awesome hike with a good friend I don't see nearly enough.
Ambien
I don't hear one when I talk, and, compared to a lot of the more "country" folks I know, I don't have one at all. However, I know there are certain words where it comes out, more in pronunciation than twang, and there are a good number of words I use that are considered Southern. I'm also prone to picking things up when I spend a lot of time around people with thicker accents, which is a pretty substantial number of people in my office (I'm guessing it's because my dad had...
Today is a work holiday for me. MrsG doesn't traditionally have the day off, but she had a leftover vacation day from '14 she needed to burn soon or lose it, so she took today. We sent the kids to daycare so we could have a date day. Not sure what we're going to do, but it'll be nice to spend some time together that doesn't revolve around kids or some specific plan for how we'll spend our alone time (usually, when we're sans kids it's for dinner, an event, etc.).
Try as I might, I couldn't find a clip of the quiz bowl episode where Dale calls Bobby "professor."Anyone who has ever worked as a research assistant at a university knows these two posts are uncomfortably close to the truth.Amusing aside related to this - on the same day I found out about the article, a friend of mine from grad school, who went on to get his PhD in the same program a couple years back, posted something on Facebook along the lines of, "I'm pretty sure the...
I found out today that a couple of professors for whom I was a research assistant in grad school won an award for the paper they ultimately published using the data we collected. It was selected as the best article in its journal for 2014. Out of curiosity, I pulled up the paper to peruse it, and I discovered that I'm the second person they thanked in the acknowledgements! I'm also, I believe, the only non-academic to make the list!
+1Meyer is a petulant penis, and that has been apparent for quite a while. The first signs I recall were when he got bent out of shape and whined about UGA celebrating in the end zone in 2007, but it became glaringly obvious when, as part of his payback during the 2008 game, he called two timeouts while leading by 39 points with less than a minute left in the game.Sportsmanship is as much about being a gracious winner as it is about not being a sore loser. Meyer is...
It does suck, GF, but, no, there will be no confrontation. There's no way that would end well. I'm well regarded around here, and my boss has mentioned how much he is impressed by my ability to handle stress. Even if someone is convinced I screwed up (I didn't), this isn't going to undermine the prevailing positive opinion of me, and a confrontation, even a low-key one would do more harm to my reputation than good. I replied to the email yesterday and copied everyone. In...