or Connect

Posts by MrG

If we're using Simpsons references, this dog was actually very Ralph Wiggum. A good-natured sweetheart, but dumb as a bag of hammers.
Yeah, I feel bad for the dog more than I miss him (which I know sounds weird). He is (was?) a sweet dog, and he's completely incapable of anything resembling survival as a stray. For his sake, I hope that, if the worst happened, it was quick. I'd hate to think he's out there suffering for days.Oh, and thing that pisses me off the more I think about it: One of the neighbors in my old neighborhood saw him and called animal control, but they couldn't be bothered to bring him...
Thanks, guys. I'm not optimistic that we'll ever see the dog again. I love my dogs, but I've never been the type to mourn the loss of pets, so I'm alright. But I'm worried about my son. He seems a little too okay with it, and I fear it's because he's still holding out hope the dog is coming home. We've tried to explain how unlikely that is now, but I'm not sure we're getting through to him. We'll see.
Re: The Vader thing. How does that piss you off? One of the best parts of kids that age are their incredible imaginations and sincere belief that anything is possible. My son told me recently that he's going up be a zooloninja because he loves animals and wants to help catch bad guys. What an awesome, fleeting gift for that to be your world for a few brief years.
I'm gonna go play that guac game and post a screen cap of me forwarding my coupon to HRoi, just so I can troll two SFers at the same time. It'll be sort of like when GF goes to meet-ups with a couple dudes from SF, except instead of getting passed around like a joint by SFers, I'll be trolling them.
I moved into the new house on Friday. This would be really exciting if all of the following hadn't happened since Thursday: Thursday: - I got sick (still fighting this and have almost completely lost my voice). - My dog ran away (and is still missing). Saturday: - Found out the econobox I don't really want/need anymore and was planning to sell, but still has a note, needs a head job. Sunday: - Turned on dryer to finish the first load of our enormous post-move laundry...
I saw CS&N open for Tom Petty in '10, and CS&N were terrible. I'm not a big fan (I was there to see Petty), but I was excited to see such a legendary band. Huge letdown. Easily the most disappointing show I've ever seen.
It's hard to explain to people who don't know the guy, but it completely made sense in the context of his personality. He wasn't slumming, or trying to get some "authentic" military experience; he just didn't have any interest in being an officer. It's kind of like BP said - he was interested in being the guy who did the work, not the one who led those guys. He went in as an NCO, and he led a small group of soldiers (forgive my weak grasp of the nomenclature, but I refuse...
The worst story I've ever heard about someone joining the military and winding up unexpectedly deployed after signing up during peacetime was a good friend of mine who finished college and enlisted, turning down the opportunity to be an officer. He started boot camp just before Labor Day of 2001.
We closed on our house today. This makes me happy because that's the kind of thing that makes one happy, but it's also a little bigger for me. I'm not in a baller mansion or anything, but the house is nicer and bigger than any place I've ever lived, in a great community with exceptional schools. It really represents how far I've come in my life, and the fact that I'm providing a life for my children that wasn't available to me when I was a child. It's still just a...