or Connect

Posts by MrG

Yeah. That's stupid, too.
So this is basically about the fact that other people in the neighborhood have nicer shit than you?I guess if it were 23:00-07:00, I wouldn't care, but is that what you're doing? You get home at 23:00 and leave eight hours later?You think having cars in the street in front of every house doesn't impact values?You realize that you don't own the street in front of the house, right? It's common area, not your property to do with as you see fit.It's not a matter of...
This was basically the last place I lived (where we rented). It did not result in a particularly nice environment."I want to slow them down by forcing them to swerve and drive on the wrong side of the road while other cars make blind exits from driveways" doesn't make much sense to me, given you're trading one dangerous behavior for three (and that assumes all of these things actually slow them down).There are better ways to calm traffic than making your streets an...
One of my favorite things about the HOA in my neighborhood is its enforcement of the "no street parking rule."Have company over and need to park on the street because there's not enough space in the driveway? Nobody is going to bother you.Chronic parking on the street, especially overnight? Nope. GTFO out of the road.Having a bunch of cars in the street constantly looks like shit, and it's unsafe.This, to me, is the ideal for an HOA. You don't want a bunch of little...
I fully expected today to be a bad loss, but that was even worse than I anticipated.I don't want to read too much into the situation four games into the Smart era, but I find it extremely disconcerting how similar this year's Georgia team's weaknesses and shortcomings are to prior seasons. It's one thing to go through some growing pains, but it's another entirely to do all the same things that got Richt fired.Think "boyishly handsome, yet somehow rugged."
I very nearly gave the Disney book a try before I picked up Double Whammy, but I'm taking the family there soon and figured it was best if I didn't risk further inflaming my natural cynicism.I bet Hiaasen was an interesting guy to talk to, if for nothing else than some cool stories about South Florida and the Everglades back in the day.
I actually first heard of Hiaasen in a Jimmy Buffett song about 20 years ago, and he was always an "I should check him out sometime" interest. I wish I'd checked him out back then, because I can't get enough of his stuff. It really is fun; his sense of humor is right up my alley. Plus, it's incredibly readable. I've just been rolling through every book. Thanks for the suggestions, FLMM. I'd actually thought about asking if you had any recs for Florida authors to check out...
Georgia looks shaky in a lot of places, and there's a lot of work to be done, but Eason is legit.
My condolences, V. Peace to you and your family.
I finally finished Grunwald's The Swamp after leaving it at my brother's earlier in the year, and now I've been on a Florida kick. More specifically, I've been on an "exploitation has ruined Florida" kick. This has led to my current guilty pleasure - a lot of Carl Hiaasen.I read Tourist Season and Native Tongue recently, and I'll probably start Double Whammy this weekend.Stiff was good, too. I might check out Grunt after my Florida kick passes.