or Connect

Posts by MrG

Yes. We can see the comments. Well, I don't know if non-mods, like DH, can, but mods definitely see them. They're not always helpful, but they frequently are, especially if I have to make a judgment call in a forum I don't know particularly well.
I got a good enough score on the GRE to earn acceptance and an assistantship to one of the best programs in my field, but I can't recall my verbal/quant scores. What I can recall, however, is that I got a perfect score on the writing section, which is the part no school actually looks at when they review your application materials.
Eh. I know mine won't be perfect, but better that than a metal north in my mid/late 30s. I'm not doing it for aesthetics, anyway; in doing to because my teeth have become uncomfortable.It's possible that the filling has deteriorated to where there's decay under there that would require a root canal, but I don't have any reason to believe that's the case, so that's good. It all sounds about like I expected which isn't so bad.This is easy to say when you're not even 25. Get...
This conversation has reminded me that I need a crown. I have a filling that's big, and, despite having it redone relatively recently, the edges of the filling are coarse. The dentist said that, because of its size, it really ought to be fixed with a crown, rather than another filling. For those of you who have them, how uncomfortable is the crown procedure? Also, +1 on dental insurance sucking. I have pretty good insurance, and it's still only gonna cover half of the...
Due to the fact that my dad is/was a womanizer who has been married like half a dozen times, I have something like nine (half) siblings. I'm the oldest, and I have one full-blood brother (we're my mom's only kids). The rest are half siblings with whom a share a range of relationship statuses from "pretty close" to "never met." There is one half brother who is unique from the rest because I knew him pretty well for awhile but completely lost contact about 20 years ago when...
Well, then, congrats on being the tallest midget, Bisco.
You mean Lon Gisland?
When I was in grad school, I interned at the place where I work now. I'm in a different division than I was when I was an intern, but it's the same department. My internship supervisor, who called to encourage me to apply for the job, is probably a couple/few years from retirement, and I'm well qualified to grow into that position. When they brought me back, I had a bit of an inkling that I was viewed as a potential replacement, but it was just a guess. Also, I was very...
This martyr complex is ubiquitous among teachers.I've decided that teachers get to these outrageous numbers by counting as work every moment something happens that can even remotely tie to being a teacher. It's the only way they could possibly come up with the totals they claim."I had to do math to figure out the tip at Applebee's. I teach math. That rounds up to five minutes of work.""I read a book this weekend. I teach reading. That rounds up to 12 hours of work. On the...
Everyone knows the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's rendition of that song is the only one that matters.