or Connect

Posts by gza

Overall, I think non-overdyed black jeans are quite versatile, though less so than indigo denim. I would say that black denim in which only the warp is dyed gives more of a charcoal effect, and just like with dressier attire, charcoal goes with just about everything, while black is often difficult to match. Overdyed black jeans are another story. My favorite options for the latter would be a white button-front shirt, tan or olive drab military shirt, or black or maroon...
I like jeans from the eccentric Welsh company, Howies (the raw ones anyway - I'm not too excited about trying the "eco-ball" washed denim). I don't know if you can find an American B&M that stocks them, but they sell them on their website, www.howies.co.uk Before I ordered mine, they claimed on the website to have had only one order in their history from the US. They took that down soon after. I think the prices, 95 or 100 GBP depending on the model, are pretty...
Geoffrey Beene cashmere v-neck, which, while not the softest, has proven remarkably resistant to pilling. Banana Republic cashmere crewneck sweater vest. Moth-eaten Cullen cashmere crewneck, which I sleep in on cold nights. Boss sportshirt, which has a nice fit and a pleasing blue/beige gingham pattern. Cashmere scarves from China. A couple pairs of fugly Rockports. All my socks. Various ties with meaningless Italian names, found via thrifting and the...
They do look great with the SJ's. The pointed toe marries well with the skinny jean, to my eyes at least. If you want a western-style boot to wear with the bootcut Zathans, I'd go for a squarer-toed variety, or perhaps ropers, which lack the decorative detail on the vamp. Both are more explicitly masculine and would help you avoid the look Brian warned you about.
I've got a few things up on ebay this week. Among the highlights are - a gray micro-check dress shirt by Fray in size 15.5/39 (I mistakenly stated the size as 15.75 in the title) - a Helmut Lang 3-button charcoal jacket/blazer in size 50 European (roughly a 40L American) - a leather jacket by The Great China Wall in size large - a pure cashmere 2-button jacket by Chester Barrie in size 42R: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZ229gzaQQhtZ-1
As always...
The subject of slim vs loosely cut pants/jeans and tops (I know that's a feminine term, but I'm trying here to encompass shirts, sweaters, and jackets) has come up before, and the general consensus has been that the most difficult (and therefore least popular) piece to wear is the oversized top. However, there's quite a tradition of that sort of thing among some of the Japanese designers (Comme des Garcons, Yohji Yamamoto), and some of the Belgians like Raf Simons and...
I have some Marc Jacobs (mainline, not the Vans collaboration) hi-tops that are styled like Chucks but are significantly wider.
Quote: Originally Posted by josepidal http://www.cityslickershoes.com/askdrfashion.htm Another question from that site: "Q. I want to wear mustard-colored shoes with my olive suit. What color socks should I wear?" I must admit I've yet to do the olive suit-mustard shoe combo, but I do regularly commit various other faux pas, including: brown shoes at night white anytime of year sneakers with dress trousers jeans and odd...
So I won and received the following shoes: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1 Are there any special concerns in polishing shoes with contrast stitching such as these? Is it correct that a colored polish will color the stitching as well as the leather?