or Connect

Posts by Garrick

Does anyone have a phone number for the folks at Meermin? I ordered a pair of shoes a month back and recently received an invoice for them (I guess there was manufacturing lead time, which is fine) and paid, but the USPS tracking code they provided doesn't work and emails now going unanswered so I have no idea if they have actually been shipped, when they should arrive, how to track them etc. It seems Meermin checks in here pretty often, so thought I'd post here on the...
Dear All, I am looking to have my favourite, but now much-battered and worn linen jacket (bought off the peg) copied exactly by a tailor somewhere where I can post the jacket to them, they would make the copy/ies and then send the lot back to me (preferably having sent me some swatches of cloth beforehand). Seeing that the original jacket was not expensive and that a copy wouldn't need to be canvassed or have working cuffs or any of the usual accoutrements I would want...
Dear All, Thanks to my lurking on this site, I've decided that I simply cannot do without a pair of double monks. There are hundreds of posts and threads here, many with drool-worthy photos of various examples of these shoes, so what I was hoping (and do excuse me, if such a thread already exists) was to get some of the mass of information aggregated here. What would you all say was the "ladder of brands" for double monks (and example prices, if you have them)? So far,...
Yep, according to their site, they are in KL - I have a friend there so I guess I could ask him to go and check them out, although I'd hate to intrude on his time like that! Their policies do seem better than most other sites of a similar ilk - particularly their lack of an "international orders are final" policy which was what put me off ordering from another site where I have so far found the best price on the watch I posted above. Anyone got any other thoughts on...
Has anyone got any feedback about using www.orolus.com to purchase a watch? I'm planning to get an Omega soon and their prices (like most online retailers) are far better than what I've been quoted in Omega dealers (particularly in London). Unlike most of the other online watch dealers, they claim to offer manufacturer's warranties with their products, which for me, would be a great plus. Has anyone actually used them? Do they do what they say? Are the watches...
Talking of shoes for slush, rain, snow and generally horrid weather conditions, I'm a Brit (hold off with your jokes about our weather for just a minute!) and I'm working and living in Russia at the moment - land of bears, $2 a bottle vodka, corrupt officials, stunningly-attractive women and, UNBELIEVABLY harsh winters (this one coming will be my 5th). In previous years here, my job allowed me to dress causually all the time, so I just picked up some similarly casual...
Last time I was home in The UK, I noticed an advert for these in a magazine (I forget which) and it caught my attention - 2 pairs of reputedly goodyear welted shoes for £100... unfortunately, I was on my way to the airport at the time so couldn't order any. Just found that they have now created a website: http://www.samuel-windsor.co.uk/Index_SamuelWindsor.cfm Has anyone here tried them?? How did they hold up?? They don't deliver abroad, so I may have to get...
Thanks for the reply, sysdoc. I'm interested as a cigar smoker - one of the features I like about the ranges are that there is actually a specific 'burner' available for cigars! What cubans do you smoke at present?? I'm a huge fan of Montecristo No. 2s - delicious things! Never been a fan of Cohibas actually thinking of trying a few Dominicans or Hondurans for my next box...
Does anyone here own a lighter made by Dupont?? (I'm considering the Gatsby range). Are they worth the money over-and-above the brand name value?? Anyone bought one from ebay?? There are a load on there - mostly fakes?? Is there a surefire way of telling a fake from an original other than taking the lighter into Dupont to be examined?? Thanks!
On which wrist do you gents wear your watches?? I'm right-handed but have always worn my watch on my right wrist, something of which, recently I have become quite conscious because obviously, this isn't the 'norm'. A friend of mine does the same as does President Putin of Russia! Other than them, am I alone in this world?! Anyway, here's a poll to get a feeling for just how common or unusual this is! Cheers! Edit - The poll has a maximum of ten options...