or Connect

Posts by GBR

The problem with "Grand Tailor" as used on this Board, is that there are several. Few actually make clear which one they mean. I did specify which GT and will stand by my comments.
A very bad sign if a tailor considers his customers to be nuisances fit only to be sent on their way. A first commission may be more time consuming for him, get it right and the client will have enjoyed the experience, have what he wants and go back and back.... That is how a long term relationship between cutter and client is created to the advantage of both.
If the man is a capable business man, all he should do is load his margin on the cloth back to the CMT price.
Shop keepers do not equate to cutters, have had ten minutes training, little idea of good or bad (if what they wear looks good you may be better served), the word 'figuration' is alien to their vocabulary and prefer commission to happy customers. Their main skill is in getting rags out of the door with minimum effort and then the commission keeps rolling in. None of this surprises me, we've read it hear many times. Try again but take a great deal more care and if you...
Yes, your cutter is the expert not you, take his advice and respect him for it.
Absolutely correct. Novices should just stop thinking they are clever by purchasing cloth for CMT to save a few $, they pay too much for expensive cloth or are sold bits of rag and then try to beat the tailor down to meet a limited budget which is crazy because decent tailors do not need to give their time and expertise away for nothing - they are not charities as some seem to think them. The skill rests entirely with your cutter and his staff but there is no skill...
I would hate to keep you waiting any longer so you should either try a different knot else a better quality tie.
So true, in fact it is little more than a folly to wear tennis shoes as a fashion statement and then complain of cold feet.
I'd shy away from expensive cloths for a first commission; I don't doubt GT will do a good job but second and subsequent commissions reflect client and cutter having the measure of one another. If this is likely to be your only visit then go for it, you have nothing to lose.
I'd send it back if you can, there is nothing whatever good to say about, only dreadful or worse. If you can't send it back burn it; the you should either go to a bricks and mortar shop next time or if it is was from such a vendor avoid them, the sales staff have no idea whatever and seem only to be interested in getting their tawdry stock out of the public door to the premises.