Posts by starro

Opera pumps: for out of the house. Velvet slippers: for inside the house. Simple.
 Scrapes and cuts happen to every one. Unless the scratch is so light as not to disturb the grain, it probably can't be "gotten out." Same goes for dents: they probably can't be lifted. They all, however, can be filled and disguised so that you can enjoy the rest of your shoes' life worryfree. I wouldBrush vigorously. Light marks might come out or become less noticeable. Apply shoe cream, preferably in color one tone darker than the shoe. Apply wax paste, in same...
Oh no, an extra incentive for dry cleaners to lose buttons!
 Of course, all good things need maintenance. To expect any machine to continue to operate at the same level year after year is to defy the laws of physics.   Again, I have to push back on the "reliable" part (it could be possible we have different definitions of the word). A quartz is no more reliable than a mechanical; I would argue it's less. With a quartz (especially a cheap disposable one), it could stop at any minute for a variety of reasons: dead battery, movement...
I have brushes for different colors. But I use the same brushes for cleaning and shining. Am I committing a major faux pas and jeopardizing the longevity of my shoes?
 Not to nitpick or anything: agree on the accurate, disagree on the durable and reliable parts. A Walmart quartz watch is a throwaway item; its movement is largely made of plastic. A PP on the other hand is made to last generations. Having little interest in battery watches myself, I don't know if the high end Swiss quartzes have movements made to the same standards as their mechanicals. If so, then that movement would need regular servicing, same as a mechanical, if you...
 Do a little research and introspection on what goes into a quality shoe, as well as the various styles, before plunking down serious hard-earned coin. Live vicariously through the ten thousand shoe brand appreciation threads (they have tons of pictures) to get a sense of what you like. Here's a thread on welted construction by a bespoke shoemaker; it's quite technical: http://www.styleforum.net/t/191166/shoe-construction-behind-the-veil/. It's good that there are...
French cuffs can work sans jacket. Just make sure to close them barrel style. Your cufflinks can then range from the button-like for discretion, all the way to the fancier ones for extra pop. One thing to pay attention to is that especially the cheaper french cuff shirts have huge cuffs, made to fit like 8-9" wrists. They would look ridiculous on normal sized wrists. One suggestion I have is to look at sweaters before jackets. They can often achieve the "look" of a...
 The supernatural shine. The big rolls all over the vamp. BTW rolls are more noticeable and bring down formality far more than creases. Again, it is very much expected that regular leather creases, so it has no effect on perceived formality.   First of all, almost nobody hand stitches shoe uppers anymore, and certainly no RTW maker that I know of. They all use sewing machines. That being said, the differences between shell and calf could very well have stitching...
Shell is an informal leather, so using it in an oxford shoe would clash stylistically. Pretty much all leather creases, so I don't know why it would be an issue for cap toes to shoe creases.