or Connect

Posts by AmInAm

Quote: Originally Posted by Manton In my phraseology, "business dress" is sort of a compound noun, hence "conservative" modifies the whole concept. To support Manton here, I'd further note that in English noun phrases, adjectival modifiers generally precede nominal modifiers. The word "business" is unquestionably a nominal modifier (since "business" is a noun and not an adjective), so if you were to place "conservative" after "business", as...
Quote: Originally Posted by Roger Navy is fine--in fact, in my opinion preferable to dark gray. My own preference is a plain navy, but a restrained pinstripe would be OK too, and might increase the versatility of the suit beyond more formal occasions. The OP already seems to own the suits he's choosing between---if that is the case, I'd go with the charcoal, but that's purely personal preference. I don't see why the navy wouldn't also be...
Quote: Originally Posted by tiecollector The best deal I have seen in terms of quality of fabric, style and construction is still www.suitsupply.com, which cost 200-300 for a suit. The only alteration I needed to have done too was shortening the pants an inch. I'll second the SuitSupply recommendation---I picked up a navy blazer (well, with horn buttons, so technically an odd jacket) last year there for 160 or 170 euro, and it's still looking...
Quote: Originally Posted by texas_jack Oh really? I present to you the former president of mexico. http://www.elbalero.gob.mx/gobierno/...erno/fox14.jpg You can't deny that most other countries could not produce a picture of their president like this. I happen to think it's cool. Um... Or maybe you didn't mean to include the U.S. in the comparison (although the rest of your post does seem to focus on Mexico versus the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Earthmover I can tell you that before the 80s, there was a very prevalent use of Chinese in every aspect of life (for example, it was impossible to read newspapers without recognizing the characters), including labels of manufactured goods. The use of Chinese characters in such things started disappearing in the 80s, and probably disappeared forever by mid-90s. This I already knew, but it's hard to see why from...
Quote: Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman They are Chinese characters but I believe the Korean written language includes, or used to include, a few thousand Chinese characters. In contemporary usage Korean is written with what is basically a syllabary. Native Korean speakers, please correct me if I'm wrong. Not a native Korean speaker, but still competent to say that hangul, the Korean writing system, is an alphabet and not a syllabary, even...
Quote: Originally Posted by kronik To me, there's something odd about it.. it's like the zipper they used is too stiff for the fabric, so if I move forward at all.. it kind of gravitates towards a sharp angle in the zipper and it looks very odd. Is this normal? If not, any recommendations for a remedy? Don't zippers loosen up with usage? I'm pretty sure that at least the zippers on my Loro Piana Horsey jacket were very stiff when I first...
Quote: Originally Posted by norcaltransplant My winter boots for the past three/four years have been a pair of To Boot NY retailing for around $300 that I purchased for $125. I replaced them with a pair of BB/C&J black calvary calf chukka boots. I have a pair of black austerity brogues from the hand-made line that I picked up on sale five or six years ago at BG (~$150) that I really like. They're probably the best-fitting pair of shoes I...
Quote: Originally Posted by josepidal How in the world did your institution manage to come up with that? Not my institution, but the orange, at least, comes indirectly from my current country of residence: William III of the House of Orange-Nassau.
Quote: Originally Posted by Nonk Quote: Originally Posted by aybojs The idea of there being some absolute correct way to thread a belt is pretty retarded Given that I (and the entire British Armed Forces) am being called a "retard", I would point out that, funnily enough, the remarks are made by someone who does it wrong. One important point regarding your post: 1. Your reading comprehension skills need some...