or Connect

Posts by Ataturk

The plane in the trailer in the post directly above mine.
When your CGI looks like something from Toy Story you probably shouldn't feature it so prominently in the trailer.
I was watching Tora! Tora! Tora! this evening, and toward the end of the film I noticed one remarkable scene where a P40 swerves into a row of parked planes while trying to take off, while ground crew scramble for their lives. The crash looks completely out of control and the debris looks like it hits the actors. The wreck ends up literally on the heels of one guy who very convincingly throws himself on the pavement, then scrambles out from under something right before it...
You can never have too many soffit vents, especially if you have power ventilation. No matter how the attic is vented it's probably pulling the air out of your house. It really pays to seal the ceiling (do the wall cavities, too). Caulk is cheap. Do it before you add more insulation.There should be no harm in covering ceiling fan wires with insulation. The problem with light cans is that the bulb can get really hot and the heat has nowhere to go if it's in a box surrounded...
First thing to do is figure out how old the wiring is. If it's older than 1990-ish, the romex is rated for a lower temperature and boxing it in with the lights could be dangerous. You might have to replace the wires to do it safely (not hard, but not fun either). If it's safe to enclose the wires, you can build boxes from rigid foam insulation (which costs about $10 for an 4x8 sheet). Seal the edges with metal duct tape.
Oh, and there was the guy who had a references sheet that had a misspelled name in it. The actual name had "nigre" in it, and use your imagination as to how they spelled it...
Some highlights from my contractor shopping: The guy who wanted me to sign a contract for $2500 more than the insurance said they'd pay, because he promised (not in writing of course) that he could get the insurance company to pay that amount. The guy who quoted "50-year (lifetime) shingles" which, when pressed, meant basic economy architectural shingles (what used to be called 30-year shingles, which now carry a worthless "lifetime" warranty). Lots of people said...
This was really bad advice. Obviously you should look at the roofs they've done since it'll give you an idea of how selective they are with the guys they hire to do the roof.Also it helps to ask about how quickly they can do the roof, not that you want it done fast, but it might give you more info. You don't want somebody who promises he can start the roof any day no matter how busy he is...
As best I can gather, the great majority of contractors who do roofs don't actually have crews that work exclusively for them. They just subcontract the whole thing to Mexicans. The best MIGHT have a single guy that works for them to supervise, but none promised he'd be there the whole time. Looking at roofs somebody did is useless because there's no guarantee you'll get the same crew that put it up. Talking to the customers is worth it, though, because it gives you an...
I finally got the roof replaced (courtesy of the insurance company). Boy do I hate dealing with contractors. Every time I do, I feel like I learn something new -- the hard way. I was pretty proud of myself for negotiating premium shingles for the amount of insurance quote. Those cost the contractor about $2k over the regular ones. But I wasn't able to be there the first day, and those bastards work so fast that they did all of those tricky parts while I wasn't there. That...