or Connect

Posts by Ataturk

Slab tables aren't really my thing, but I wish they were. I have access to a small bandsaw mill and could cut as many as I wanted. The hardwood around here's not so great though. I've collected a fair number tools over the last couple of years, some new some old. Since I got real power to my shop I've been setting stuff up but not actually making anything. I am honestly afraid that I like tinkering with machines more than woodworking.
Code stuff varies from state to state and locality to locality. You can't generalize. Just ask your local authorities what the deal is.
HD will take real, official, printed-by-Lowes coupons, but I don't know how to get them to take the online coupon codes, especially since the online Lowes coupons are kind of a gray area. They're theoretically individually numbered and one-time use. But only a few of the numbers are operative, so you can change the others to use a given code as many times as you want. It's been like that for years, and surely Lowes knows what people are doing. My local Home Depot will...
To each his own, I guess. Lowes is going crazy with coupon codes. They have $50 off $250 and $15 off $50 (go to slickdeals forums to find the codes). I'm trying to think of something I still need.
I'm no fan of floating floors. Most engineered wood flooring can be glued to concrete. If you're worried about moisture they make rubberized glue that acts as a moisture barrier.
That's what laminate is.
Such as cutting it into thinner strips and gluing them together with the grain in alternating directions.
Half the heat would go through the subfloor only if the subfloor had the same insulating properties as the flooring. I don't know exactly how heat transfer works (whether it's linear or what) but 3/4 plywood has about 50% more insulating power compared to 3/4 hardwood, according to google, and it's about three times as good as engineered wood. Ceramic tile has basically no insulation value so the heat goes right through it.
It's bright, but it ain't that bright. With about 4/5 of the light working (waiting on some ballasts) I measured 150-200 footcandles or so at countertop height depending on where you were in the shop. Compare with about 30 in a typical indoor room.But it's nothing compared to the light outside. Under a dense tree you'd get 300+ footcandles, an overcast day more than a thousand, a sunny summer day 8000 or more.150 would make some houseplants happy but stuff like dope needs...
Rewiring my detached garage. The whole thing had formerly been on a single circuit, so I spent most of the weekend chopping up the wiring into circuits and adding outlets and lights. Would have been more fun if the attic didn't have a floor and a bunch of junk in it. I'm about 3/4 done at this point. Finally got all the lights back on this evening. Added three way switches in a couple places so, for example, I don't have to go (way) under the stairs to turn on the attic...