or Connect

Posts by Ataturk

It doesn't need to be that, just a little wear on the pad so a corner of the heel is exposed. I've long since given up trying to stop them.
I don't really agree. A worn finish hides dents better than a harder wearing one. It's the gloss from the finish that really makes dents stand out. The hardness ratings measure the amount of force it takes to make a dent. That means that impacts that didn't dent your floor would have left depressions in softer wood. Considering how easily oak dents I would be very reluctant to go with anything softer, and walnut is significantly softer.
It's not wear per se, but dents. Meaning that when you drop something, when someone steps too hard with the corner of a heel, when something is dragged or moved roughly, etc., you're going to end up with depressions in the surface of the wood. These will stand out more than scratches would, and they're harder to repair.You'll end up with lots of marks like this or this (from google image search):
Walnut's a little soft for a floor, isn't it? Expect a lot of dents.
I don't know how well sound insulation works when it has to be in solid contact with the floor. Usually to deaden sound you need some kind of air barrier or disconnect between materials, I believe. I can certainly understand the argument against hardwood upstairs, especially in single-family construction there's nothing buffering the sound whatsoever. My house has engineered floor joists, which are especially bad because there's no solid vertical barrier anywhere inside...
Wait till you remove the furniture and it looks like a patchwork of two different kinds of carpet.
I am just not a fan of carpet and have sworn it off for life, so I may not be a good source for this info.Just get a quality nylon carpet in a plain, neutral, inoffensive shade. Google the different types of nylon to make sure you get one that's durable.Or, alternatively, buy cheap carpet and plan to replace it when you move out. That might end up being a smarter move. Most people can't tell the difference between cheap carpet and quality carpet when it's new, but they...
Noise, I assume.
Loop carpets, unless they really are commercial, don't wear well, are hard to clean and easy to damage. Would not recommend them.
I finally hooked the garage up and switched it on -- success. No shorts, fires, arcs or anything like that. That 2 AWG aluminum with the thick direct burial insulation is tough stuff to work with, though. Not sure I'd do it differently next time but I sure didn't enjoy cramming all those fat wires into boxes and pipes.