or Connect

Posts by rach2jlc

Cyc wid it... I love that Margiela bag. I've never had one but it's the exact shape of a top-zip tote I like. I remember they made a muted/muddy gray color a few years back that was very nice.I definitely recommend AiP over a top-end RTW brand... but in truth I don't have all that many pieces made by her. $3000+ is definitely a LOT of money; I didn't start the thread to throw around that amount casually. Instead, I wanted to highlight a quality artisan (who is also a very...
Oh, I love the Steve. In Clemence? That one is a classic that will be just as lovely in 30 years as it is today.The one I was mentioning, though, was actually the Barda. I remember seeing it in Tokyo and it was something like 920,000 yen. The Steve was a relative bargain at 860,000 (IIRC); I should have bought three. j/k +1. If I could ever find a used Steve or Barda for ~$3000 (which is about what Bea would charge for a bespoke piece), I'd probably snag it. But...
No, I don't think so. It may look neat and "vintage" in the pic, but I think if you bought it basically you'd have an old bag that somebody's grand-dad might have carried to sell insurance.
Thanks for the info re: Museum calf.re: Hermes, I have no idea milled or grained. IIRC Togo is calf, Fjord is adult cow, and Clemence is baby bull. Each have their attributes and are all lovely. Hermes pricing, though, is so stellar I have no idea who buys it. Last time I looked at a messenger in the store it was nearly $9000. I mean, srsly?
After five years, 2800+ replies and nearly half a million views, let's start a new chapter to the DEFINITIVE MANBAG thread. Here is the original: http://www.styleforum.net/t/115841/the-definitive-manbag-thread-part-i-2009-2014/0_100 What's changed since I started the original thread? Well, Marc Jacobs, Dolce&Gabbana, Lambertson Truex, CK Collection, etc. have either gone under, changed their manufacture, or altered themselves entirely. Prada and Gucci are totally...
Agreed! What does "museum" calf mean, though? Based on your response above it seems you know what differentiates this type of leather. Other than Lobb shoes and those hyper-stylized Berluti bags, I must admit knowing nothing about it.
After 2000+ posts and half a million views, I decided to start a new DEFINITIVE MANBAG THREAD, part II. Please post new updates/ideas here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/429518/the-definitive-manbag-thread-part-ii-2014/0_100
What would be difference between the cognac "smooth" vege-tanned they already have and "Museum" calf aside from the patina? I don't know much about the hide or how it's treated so I'm curious. I always assumed for the sake of diversity/variety that the natural next step for a new leather variety would be a grained, soft, scratch-resistant cowhide. Two classic examples are Hermes Togo and Fjord. I'm not endorsing these colors, mind you, but just the leather type. These...
Wow, congrats to Linjer on meeting their (initial) fundraising goal in a single day. Onward and upward! I met/learned about the brand here on the forum same as the rest of you guys... so I have no insider knowledge or relationship with the brand beyond what I gathered from doing this review... but I'm excited to support a startup of young, smart, creative folk who have done their homework and have the right outlook. I've talked to a lot of designers over the years, and...
Yeah, Dunhill and such leave me unimpressed as well. In the past few seasons, too, I was surprised to see $1000+ bags made in China from unimpressive leather and hardware. Asprey is a little too "stuffy" for most users, as well.I agree re: totes; keep a lookout on Ebay as sometimes they'll have some nice Margiela or Neil Barrett Totes at fair prices. Neil Barrett is one who often flies under the radar, but makes some nice standard minimal bags. A lot of people forget...