or Connect

Posts by rach2jlc

Exactly. I have no idea how even to begin. It's very much just a "feeling" when you feel the hardware in your hands and do the proverbial "back and forth." There are a whole host of brands that I don't even know the "real" names of... Ferre and Rick Owens used one with mRy posted on them, there is also OPTI, etc. And, horribile dictu... sometimes RIRI stuff is extraordinarily STIFF. So, really, you just have to get the bag in your hands and go to town on it. If a...
I should perhaps have said "user friendly" rather than "foreigner friendly," but you know what I mean. It's really not a city for the uninitiated. Hell, even for the initiated it's bewildering. Luckily, it's (comparatively) safe at any time of day/night, with EXCELLENT service at most any decent hotel... so there is no worry.
^Agreed. As well, depending on the hotel where you are staying, the front desk/information staff often are very helpful with all kinds of information about shopping. Tokyo really is NOT the kind of foreigner-friendly city you'd expect for something of its size/wealth/diversity of shopping... so without having some help it can be overwhelming.
Definitely the Shinjuku Isetan and some of the other big stores in the Shinjuku area. The only bad thing about the cool "nichey" boutiques in Tokyo is that they can be hard to find and randomly hidden away. I'll let others chime in with some suggestions beyond the "biggies" in Shibuya, Harajuku, and Omotesando, though.
^Probably just a typo, but to avoid confusion D&G is the (no longer produced) second line. DG is the abbreviated mainline (Dolce & Gabbana is the actual name of the brand). To the OP: If you are interested in "investment" shoes, read any of the MANY shoe threads here. Designer/fashion brand shoes are almost always more $$$, lower quality, and less durable/versatile than a similar priced shoe maker. That being said, DG shoes are no worse than any of the other major...
Great post and I agree completely.I read an article about Gucci's recent design/marketing changes, but I agree with you in shaking my head. It's interesting to do a "what if" about Gucci. I'm not thinking about Tom Ford, though, but about the designer they fired after one season in 2005... John Ray. I really liked what he did and how he differentiated it quickly from Ford while keeping the essence there. It wasn't "commercial" enough and they fired him. Had they taken...
Prada is hit and miss, but they can do nice things as well. As somebody who had his first Prada bag in the mid-1990's and since then probably thirty-five (more if you add in the affiliated brands of Jil, Helmut, or Miu Miu), I think I can say that with some authority.If you buy Prada retail, then you can search yourself and see what she likes. If you are buying aftermarket or online, send me a PM with the link and I'll give you my thoughts. Not all Prada is created...
WANT is nice, especially for men's bags. Personally I don't just LOVE them, though, and, in truth I own nothing from them in my own collection. They used to be a better bargain than they are now, too. As a brand gets (or passes) that critical $1000 mark... it runs into a lot of competition and starts looking less and less like a "Must" unless it is doing something really, really extraordinary.Definitely look at McQueen for your GF; I think it might make a lovely gift....
Unfortunately my knowledge/experience with women's bags is really quite limited. But just to throw one out there I like? Alexander McQueen. Pricey? Yes. But (IME) quality is good and the prices don't feel egregious. Design is great, and they add a hint of flare to classic bags that are still very wearable. Here is a link to their SS14 women's collection; I think there is a lot of neat stuff in...
Interest Check in a Calvin Klein Collection Laptop Briefcase. Came from the Madison avenue store back in 2008 or so. I've used it some, but it's still in excellent shape. Retail was $1695, made in Italy. Comes with tags and dustbag. Size is approximately 16X13X5 with removable leather strap. Two compartments, one for a laptop with velcro leather straps, the other for folders. This is a GREAT bag in a great style/color... dark espresso brown with a grain similar to LV...