or Connect

Posts by rach2jlc

The incense is exactly what wins it for me; it gives it a lovely warm, dark tone that is so very rare in an aldehyde. In terms of showing the versatility/range of the aldehyde note, I'd list No22 and (the old) YSL RG as the best examples beyond the 'powdery grandma" note so often associated with it.
It really is. This, along with Jicky/Shalimar/Mitsouko, was one big reason for me to stop trying so many new niche scents and plunge deep into the history of great parfumerie.I'm long out of good BdI, but I'll match you as best I can tonight with some old-school No22. Along with L'interdit, the best aldehydes ever done.
That makes sense. Given the high costs of manufacturing within Italy, it would be virtually impossible to manufacture a leather bag there at that price, doubly so if custom. I'll report back on the process if everything works out.In the meantime, it might be worth it to post your ideas, feedback, and brand advice over on their affiliate thread. It seems like they are quite receptive to the feedback in terms of marketing copy, adjustments to the site, and additional...
Exactly. While we often talk here about how overpriced many brands are... we shouldn't therefore imply that a good bag is really cheap to make. It's not... and while "smart" brands have figured out places to trim costs while keeping quality/design high... there will always be compromises unless you bite the bullet and buy ONLY at the very top tier... and at retail.The future is getting brighter, though; as professional dress and using nice accessories become more...
An affordable custom option would be great if the quality/service/turnaround time/etc are there; I'm placing a small order and will report back here on the process. So, stay tuned.HOWEVER, be sure to read carefully; I don't think they claim to be made in Italy.
Yeah, Hermes these days is mostly only good to look at for inspiration/ideas for styling. For the sake of info, though, the bag is called the 24/24 GM in "sikkim" leather (a soft lambskin). They made it in a number of colors and three sizes, all of which are really lovely (my personal favorite was a mushroom/puddy color)Another good internet resource for inspiration/styling is Tooklookbook, a site that compiles seasonal lookbooks and catalogues from...
Of course all opinions and ideas are fine! I was just mentioning my (admitted!) prejudices for bag types and brands. I think it is good to give MORE ideas than fewer; then the affiliates like Linjer can weed through them and pick what works best based on all the evidence. So, of course feel free to post pics and ideas for the bags you like/have owned.
I'm not familiar with that maker, but I'm glad some other members are chiming in with suggestions. Keep it up, guys! And post pics of your bags! I haven't gotten much new stuff now in several years; I'm far out of the loop. Just to add some pictures of lovely things, I post the below pictures for inspiration. Left is a standard duffle; the right is a camera/reporter style bag. I tend to like this style of bag MUCH more than the flap messenger; I find the zippers and...
The latter two are also wonderful. L'interdit is a gorgeous aldehyde (truly puts Chanel no5 to shame) and Monsieur is a great hesperides. My spouse has four bottles of the vintage Monsieur; he's not a fragrance fan but loves that one.Hubert sold his cosmetics/fragrance company in the 1990's and we are all the worse for it. The old stuff (including Vetyver, Givenchy III, etc.) are wonderful and sadly lost gems. The original Givenchy had a true classic in each of the...
Thrilled (and surprised) to see all the NAVY love. I've always claimed (along with gray) it's the most versatile color... but most guys in my own experience have been hesitant. Glad to see so much branching out. Ghurka and Saddleback are probably my two LEAST favorite leather brands; I get it that they are sturdy, but the styling and aesthetic value give me hives. They are like Jeeps to a Range Rover, Trabant to a Jag XJS.The issue with a smaller bag is that most guys...