or Connect

Posts by rach2jlc

Interesting choices, gentleman. Some commentary: Karavanserai is a new one to me; I've never tried any from the line! Patchouli 24 was a really nice surprise when it first came out about 10 years ago; I managed to go through an entire 100ml bottle. A very unexpected and unique take on the note; more than a full-on patchouli scent, it's instead a very dry, woody scent with a lot of birch/tar. Very masculine and without anything sweet. Dans tes bras! Malle is always a...
^Le Male is one of those scents so tied to specific times/events (late 1990's) that it's hard for me to sniff it objectively and as such I find it almost impossible to wear. That being said, in its abundant use of vanilla, I think fans would also dig Shalimar or the old Guerlains we've been discussing above. It's very muggy/hot here today, so I'll probably do a liberal splashing of Dior Eau Fraiche (the original inspiration for Eau Sauvage and Diorella).
Great. Like TF BO, Dior Homme was one I tried almost as soon as it came out. I had fashion pieces from Hedi's earliest seasons, and this EdT, and also the limited ones (Bois Noir, Cologne Blanche, etc.).Great blast from the past, and a great iris scent. I haven't smelled it in years, so I have no idea if it is still the same.
Tom Ford Black Orchid today. I had a bottle (and loved it) when it came out ten or so years ago, but never replaced it. Had a sample and applied, and immediately remembered why I liked it. Among newish mainstream/designer scents, it really is fascinating. It manages to be dark, rich, warm, sweet, yet compelling without being cloying. Good sillage, good longevity. It also has this sort of gourmand-like feel, without being in any way a gourmand. It definitely still...
Some good ones today/yesterday. And L'inc, glad to see you sharing the love of fine sniffery. Then again, it's hard not to love Malle once properly introduced. I'm going to wear a sample of Fresh Hesperides Grapefruit I received the other day; it's nice, and I love Grapefruit scents. I can't say I like it better than Pamplelune, but it's still a crowd-pleasing, user friendly grapefruit with a hint of sparkle (hence Hesperides). In general, though, I like my Grapefruits...
I'll make a list of feminine marketed Guerlain scents for you fellas to try, in order from unisex to "tough for a man to pull off well:" Totally Unisex (IMHO): Jicky Cologne du 68 Shalimar Mitsouko Do-able: Vol de Nuit Vega (though $$$ and hard to find) Samsara (especially vintage juice or parfum concentration) Voile d'ete Tough-ish, but still possible: L'heure Bleue Chamade Tough: Chant D'aromes Jardins de Bagatelle Champs Elysees L'instant NOTE: I'm ignoring Lui,...
Continuing Guerlain Week, I'll do the EdP of Jardins de Bagatelles (in the bee bottle). It's way too feminine to recommend as a daily wear for most users here, but the EdP tends to feel richer/darker/deeper than the EdT. This one reminds me a lot of Gardenia or Une Fleur by Chanel, but with a much better/deeper base. Both are classic white florals, but the Jardins pushes it much further (especially in the drydown). If you can make it past the initial LOUD blast of...
I love L'h B, but see your point. While I find Mitsouko or Shalimar very unisex, definitely L'h B tends to be much softer and in the more feminine territory.Vol de Nuit EdT today; a true gem. Quiet, cool, and "airy," a scent that definitely is named appropriately.
I must say this Old Tankard Ale is a lot of fun for the $$$.
I accept! Today Guerlain Cologne du 68.It's an odd one from the house and without its name I wouldn't necessarily be able to trace the lineage. That being said... if one likes L'instant PH, I think would be a hit as well. It's got that similarly odd balance of soft and sweet, but also woody/resinous with some citrus. However, each is really well balanced/blended, so it moves back and forth within these different families without any one part being discernible.It's one...