or Connect

Posts by rach2jlc

Missoni Uomo small travel/camera bag. Made in Italy, measure about 12X10X5, great bag for travel. Made in Italy. Excellent condition. Retail was around $1000. SOLD
Good points, as usual. This is probably one reason why so many of the "top" brands are switching to zippers with their own logos on the heads (which allows them to make/buy whatever crap they want).Re: Gucci Group (now Kering)... you are right. It's interesting how (McQueen and BV notwithstanding) their brands have really fallen off the radar. Balenciaga? Meh. Stella McCartney? WHO? And Gucci, for the reasons we've discussed. Could be interesting to see if they'd...
^As I doubt the shoes are welted, I also doubt they are actual cordovan. It's probably a mark of the color/texture of the leather. Many designer brands say "Coccodrillo" or "bufalo" when the leathers aren't croc or buffalo. If $300 was half off the retail price... there is no way they are either welted or cordovan. Retail for a "top brand" like DG for a real cordovan or top-quality construction would be more than $1000. In any case, I think with the right kind of...
Exactly. I have no idea how even to begin. It's very much just a "feeling" when you feel the hardware in your hands and do the proverbial "back and forth." There are a whole host of brands that I don't even know the "real" names of... Ferre and Rick Owens used one with mRy posted on them, there is also OPTI, etc. And, horribile dictu... sometimes RIRI stuff is extraordinarily STIFF. So, really, you just have to get the bag in your hands and go to town on it. If a...
I should perhaps have said "user friendly" rather than "foreigner friendly," but you know what I mean. It's really not a city for the uninitiated. Hell, even for the initiated it's bewildering. Luckily, it's (comparatively) safe at any time of day/night, with EXCELLENT service at most any decent hotel... so there is no worry.
^Agreed. As well, depending on the hotel where you are staying, the front desk/information staff often are very helpful with all kinds of information about shopping. Tokyo really is NOT the kind of foreigner-friendly city you'd expect for something of its size/wealth/diversity of shopping... so without having some help it can be overwhelming.
Definitely the Shinjuku Isetan and some of the other big stores in the Shinjuku area. The only bad thing about the cool "nichey" boutiques in Tokyo is that they can be hard to find and randomly hidden away. I'll let others chime in with some suggestions beyond the "biggies" in Shibuya, Harajuku, and Omotesando, though.
^Probably just a typo, but to avoid confusion D&G is the (no longer produced) second line. DG is the abbreviated mainline (Dolce & Gabbana is the actual name of the brand). To the OP: If you are interested in "investment" shoes, read any of the MANY shoe threads here. Designer/fashion brand shoes are almost always more $$$, lower quality, and less durable/versatile than a similar priced shoe maker. That being said, DG shoes are no worse than any of the other major...
Great post and I agree completely.I read an article about Gucci's recent design/marketing changes, but I agree with you in shaking my head. It's interesting to do a "what if" about Gucci. I'm not thinking about Tom Ford, though, but about the designer they fired after one season in 2005... John Ray. I really liked what he did and how he differentiated it quickly from Ford while keeping the essence there. It wasn't "commercial" enough and they fired him. Had they taken...
Prada is hit and miss, but they can do nice things as well. As somebody who had his first Prada bag in the mid-1990's and since then probably thirty-five (more if you add in the affiliated brands of Jil, Helmut, or Miu Miu), I think I can say that with some authority.If you buy Prada retail, then you can search yourself and see what she likes. If you are buying aftermarket or online, send me a PM with the link and I'll give you my thoughts. Not all Prada is created...