or Connect

Posts by rach2jlc

Can you post a few pictures of the styles you like (price notwithstanding)?
No knowledge of Gustin's, unfortunately.SmileForum... Lanvin has great styling, but historically (for bags) have been incredibly shoddy. I haven't seen them in person for 3-4 seasons, so can't say specifically. But, they're off my radar just because their bags in the past have been so shitty for the $$$. Maybe the worst of the worst (worse even than the Dior/Burberry mentioned above).
Oh, style-wise all of the brands I mentioned are great. The $1800 tote from Paul Smith on mrporter is lovely LOOKING. The style is great. Up close, though, the quality is crap for $1800. Same with Dior. Same with Ferragamo (10 cent zippers and cheap fabric lining??? Retail : $1740) Great style... horrible quality. I've said this often before, but I had a good friend who worked for LVMH and used to tell me directly to avoid Dior like the Plague unless I wanted to...
The two you mentioned (Burberry and Dior) are the worst of the bunch. Believe it or not, price notwithstanding, Gucci and LV make lovely stuff at the "top end." It's pricey, but it's quite good. Prada, too, at the very top end luggage line still makes a nice bag, if you don't mind the price. Margiela also still makes good stuff, though I like to check out in person.If I wanted a brand bag at $2000+ I'd probably go for Bottega or Loewe. Bally (typically) isn't bad as...
Just to illustrate what I mean above, and how much has changed in the last decade, here are a few of my bags and the retail prices paid. My basic thesis to bag buying is that while I'm not a "high roller," I will pay good money for a bag that is worth the money. MOST of the brands these days are not, so I've sought alternatives. Prada AW2000 canvas/cinghiale (wild boar) messenger. Retail was less than a thousand bucks. You'd pay north of $2000, and the bag wouldn't...
+1. I like Mulberry styling as well. They have some very nice men's totes and such.I think my credit here is good enough I don't sound like a shill... but go look at the Linjer page. I didn't mention Mulberry specifically to avoid any conflict, but I find them in the same quality/styling arena. Are Mulberry or LInjer like LV Nomade or Hermes Barenia? Nope.But, like I said above, I'd not be surprised at all if the truth came out that Linjer and Mulberry were produced...
I was waiting for somebody to ask about Mulberry. I find them ludicrously overpriced. At one time, they were a nice "under the radar" brand priced less than the "big" brands. Last time I saw them on MrPorter, however, I saw that they are now at ultrapremium pricepoints.In fact, I was hoping LInjer would talk about them... because I'm curious if they use the same tanneries/factories. Most of the recent mulberry I've seen was made outside of Europe (Turkey/China/etc) with...
Kira... I forgot not everybody read all the old "Dumb" threads. Pink Dolphin Society means gay men (or women). There's a much longer story to it than that, but anyway... Ostrich is fun, but honestly you'll find its versatility limited. It's such a standout that it'll get noticed everytime you use it... and not necessarily in a good way. It's sort of like if you have a flashy garment... even if you wear it only once a month or two, it'll be remembered each time so...
^No, I'm not high-roller enough to get invites to the shows. I've written copy before so have visited some showrooms/trade shows as a side gig to my teaching, but that's it. And as a member of the Pink Dolphin Society I've got lots of friends who work for brands so get to visit sample and family sales... but it's all pretty "small time." My interest is more scientific than financial; old school member SoCal2NYC is the only one I know who walks into a boutique with his...
Their margins are very, very high... but they also have some incredible overhead.I read once that the rent of a premium piece of property in a big city can be millions per month, beyond the millions it costs to build/outfit the store (Prada, for example, spent $40+ million on its NYC flagship beyond the monthly lease). NONE of the boutiques (except the LV stores in Tokyo) actually make a profit; they all tank money and are for exposure purposes. All of the brands I...