or Connect

Posts by rach2jlc

This is the key. Made from a thick leather and especially if it has any interior lining/pockets, you lose functionality after a certain size (not only is it harder to keep folders/papers organized, stick a laptop in it and it gets so heavy it'll break your arm). Also, the bigger you get the more casual the style becomes (a casual tote is not a work tote anymore than a briefcase is the same as a day bag).As your brand grows, however, you might consider making your "core"...
Very, very rarely do the final costs of a bag from a major brand have anything to do with the amount of labor/material involved. That's true of basically anything at a brand from jeans to crocodile trenches; does it really cost Givenchy $750 to make a t-shirt?Typically the prices are based purely on what they think the market will bear. Look, for example, at the difference in prices between the women's bags and men's bags for most designers... a small purse is often...
That was really a beautiful bag; my "bag freeze" at the time nearly thawed when I saw it... and then saw it on sale. I refrained, however, for the sake of my marriage.
Not silver. I definitely love gray, though. A puddy/mid-gray (not quite light, but not charcoal) is wonderful. It's a tough color, though, because it can show marks and requires a bit of TLC. As well, it's a rarer color to find. Again, margiela does a tote in puddy gray, as does Costume National (from time to time). Calvin Klein Collection, Prada, and Valentino do as well... but with all of these you'll be dealing with possible fakes, used bags, etc in the...
That's my opinion. Navy goes with everything. Wear black... navy is a nice contrast. Wear browns/non-blacks... navy is a nice contrast. You can't go wrong for versatility with navy. That's why I suggested Linjer, because their navy soft brief is simple, no nonsense, good quality (I had a chance to manhandle one in person), and affordable/bang-for-buck for its quality. The tote they are releasing soon also looks very nice (though I haven't yet gotten to see one in...
It'll take some legwork, but in NYC you have access to almost everything. Basically, I'd translate my hint about doing a committed ebay search to one IRL. It would also be a fun thing to do during your free time in the lovely NYC spring. Go to the manbag threads (this and the old one), equip yourself with a list of 15-20 brands you think look neat, and find their NYC sales outlets. Almost all will have seasonal sales or samples. As well, even just going to the...
Totes look great. A classic, simple, vertical shopper style tote is one of the most versatile bags out there. It takes some guys a bit of getting used to... but once one has his first tote, he never goes back. Far more versatile/useful than a briefcase and one that goes with casual/formal situations. I like the layout, too... also interested in all the details/pricing/etc.
15 years ago I would have agreed... but these days it's like saying $40k is a lot for a car made in Japan. "Made in China" has its Lexus as well as its Daihatsu mini-car.Looking more academically at your question... (and re: Mismo), do you mean retail or on sale? I was thinking more "at retail" 500-range in your initial query. Obviously, if we are talking about finding bags $500-ish even including sales, there are lots and lots of options if one is patient and...
et tu, Balenciaga? Yikes... this is awful.http://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/balenciaga/canvas-and-leather-tote-bag/509475Definitely Linjer. Mismo is nice, but you won't get much in leather for $500 (just check out prices on Mr. Porter).Beyond those, that price range is a tough one for full retail. From the interaction I've had with Linjer, and now that they are getting ready to send out the first orders, I think it'd be a good bet. You might also look at Bill Amberg....
Guilty as charged! And Ferre was ALWAYS primarily a European brand (especially Italy and then France). He never did a particularly good job of creating a global brand (unlike his 1980's rivals Giorgio and Gianni), though the Beverly Hills and NYC stores were lovely. He was very singularly focused and uncompromising... and never had a good business team around him to show him how to do it. It's hard to believe now that once he was one of the "big three" G's of 1980's...