or Connect

Posts by rach2jlc

Parfums Givenchy is one that truly, truly suffered when Hubert himself sold his cosmetics business in the 90's. LVMH pretty much gutted the existing ones, and never really created anything new worth trying. Gentleman is pissy water with some patchouli compared to its old self. Vetiver is no more. L'interdit was gutted. Monsieur and Eau de Givenchy lost their kick as well. And Givenchy III (one of the great chypres) is gone, too.Givenchy really kept up with Dior in...
^Thanks for compiling the list. I'll work on organizing it and will edit/update this post when I can.
That's a good follow-up. BelAmi, Halston, Caron Yatagan, Giorgio for Men, Bijan, Balenciaga Pour Homme (the original one), Givenchy Gentleman... are all inspirations for the original Gucci PH. IIRC, TF wanted one that was a great throwback to those vintage, masculine spicy scents of the 70's/80's that by the early 2000's had been turned into aquatic nightmares (Aqua di Gio, oh my!)
Always a solid choice. One of the great mainstream designer scents. I remember getting a bottle when it first came out in the early 2000's; that dark, leather-and-pencil-shavings note was so fun and unique. Tom Ford really did some remarkable fragrance work at both Gucci and YSL (or, rather those came out during his tenure). YSL RG PH, M7, M7 Fraiche, even Cinema was unique. And of course all the Gucci ones (of which Rush for Men, now discontinued, was surprisingly...
In theory, I agree. Also Knize Ten, Cuiron, Cuir de Ottoman, even Diorling or Jolie Madame. Even Royal English Leather (Creed).Bandit, conceptually, does a lot for leather scents by blending green/fresh notes with the traditional heavy/stinky leather note. CdR, however, is very different. As such, at the end of the day.. CdR is just in a class by itself. That's why I couldn't mention an alternative. Knize Ten would probably be the closest I could ponder, or Cuiron in...
So I'll do a list of currently available juice (in no order). My criterion is less to fit with my "personal" taste than to create a rounded list that covers all the bases: 1. Portrait of a Lady (Malle)- Oriental 2. Parfum de Therese (Malle)- Just amazing, maybe the greatest combination ever made. 3. Bigarade Concentree (Malle)- Citrus; honorable mentions Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune, Hermes Eau d'orange concentree 4. Helmut Lang EdP/EdC- Weird gourmand/skin...
Interesting choices, gentleman. Some commentary: Karavanserai is a new one to me; I've never tried any from the line! Patchouli 24 was a really nice surprise when it first came out about 10 years ago; I managed to go through an entire 100ml bottle. A very unexpected and unique take on the note; more than a full-on patchouli scent, it's instead a very dry, woody scent with a lot of birch/tar. Very masculine and without anything sweet. Dans tes bras! Malle is always a...
^Le Male is one of those scents so tied to specific times/events (late 1990's) that it's hard for me to sniff it objectively and as such I find it almost impossible to wear. That being said, in its abundant use of vanilla, I think fans would also dig Shalimar or the old Guerlains we've been discussing above. It's very muggy/hot here today, so I'll probably do a liberal splashing of Dior Eau Fraiche (the original inspiration for Eau Sauvage and Diorella).
Great. Like TF BO, Dior Homme was one I tried almost as soon as it came out. I had fashion pieces from Hedi's earliest seasons, and this EdT, and also the limited ones (Bois Noir, Cologne Blanche, etc.).Great blast from the past, and a great iris scent. I haven't smelled it in years, so I have no idea if it is still the same.
Tom Ford Black Orchid today. I had a bottle (and loved it) when it came out ten or so years ago, but never replaced it. Had a sample and applied, and immediately remembered why I liked it. Among newish mainstream/designer scents, it really is fascinating. It manages to be dark, rich, warm, sweet, yet compelling without being cloying. Good sillage, good longevity. It also has this sort of gourmand-like feel, without being in any way a gourmand. It definitely still...