or Connect

Posts by rach2jlc

Well, I doubt I'll become a regular Coach buyer... but in general it's good always to view something in person before making a determination (positive or negative) based on brand.Btw, easy way to determine the age of an older Coach piece... starting in 1994 the first three symbols on the tag are the month, year, and location of manufacture, the last four are the model number. Mine says J8B-0528, which means January 1998, with "B" being one of the USA factories. 0528 is...
Well, time and circumstances have made a liar of Prof Fab twice over. (1) I said I'd never own Coach (2) I said I'd never own a backpack, because I didn't think they looked good. Found this Made in USA Coach large size rucksack. Thick, nice leather, good construction and hardware, no logos. Price was very fair, too. From the datecode/serial number, it was made in 1998... so obviously even into the 1990's Coach was making decent stuff in the USA. I thought by then it...
Yeah, I've seen crazy Japanese biking before... but I guess what surprised me most was that the dozey bitch just got right back up and kept playing with the phone, and the salaryman just watched her go. At the least I'd have let out a string of obscenities at her. True, Japanese is NOT a good language to swear in (last I checked the awfullest curses translated out to, "please die")... but still...
Speaking of bike safety... out for a run the other morning saw a Japanese highschool girl playing with her cell phone while riding her bike and collide head-on with a salaryman, also biking. Neither was injured, except their pride as they both flew over the handbars and the "ching ching ching" of their little bike bells going off in the collision. The stupid girl just picked up her cellphone, muttered "sorry" and went back to riding while playing with her phone again...
Nice description. Parfums d'empire Cuir d'ottoman: leather jacket worn by mechanic who fixes the truck used to pull the cage full of elephant shit. As usual from you, a good choice. Haven't seen anybody wear this one for a long time. Where do you rank it in the pantheon of liquorice scents? (and did you ever have the old Yohji homme?)The reason he hasn't yet responded is he can't get internet to work at the roadside motel where he's been forced to spend the night......
Halloween in a bottle for me today... Lancome Magie noire Parfum. Another in the grand old sadly dead chypre oriental file. Dark, smokey, green... Mitsouko with no peach, YSL "Y" but darker, Miss Dior's friend who sings in a smokey jazz bar all night. A very weird, wonderful scent that I rarely wear, but I'm pulling out some old favorites for fall.
I was JUST going to say that, "he's like Bond!" They had the same problem, though, and it made it difficult to appreciate the line. I guess from a marketing/brand perspective they are trying to, in one fell swoop, match ANY potential customer, and lacking the 150 year history of Guerlain, going POW and in one moment having a full fragrance house.I wonder how many customers (such as this one) find it overwhelming and leave a TF store or counter buying nothing, and tired...
I'm a purist, and admittedly old fashioned when it comes to stuff like this... but I think it's a mistake (and short-sighted) to treat fragrance like a standard seasonal item/collection. He seems to treat fragrances like he does an accessories line, IMHO releasing too much at once, or taking away things if they don't meet sales expectations. That may work for a line of shoes or scarves, but not a scent. Sometimes, a scent is "out of its time," or takes a while to...
ANOTHER? Jeez, he puts out new scents like some brands put out promotional flyers.
Very, very true. Fashion and menswear have never been subjected to the rigorous social science methodologies of other fields (musicology, art history, etc). It's both a shame and also quite surprising, given that we may not all listen to Stranvinsky or view Rothko, but we all wear clothes.Maybe some of us tiring of academia could start a new field? Surely there's a lot of room for growth beyond Barthe's "Fashion System."