or Connect

Posts by rach2jlc

+1, my feelings exactly. It's a shame, because the styling on some was quite interesting. Anyway, this is one reason why Lanvin (in addition Ferragamo and Dior) are on my "no go" bag list... except at STEEEEEP discount.In general, with brands that are not primarily bag/luggage makers, we have to remember that (1) the creative directors generally don't handle bags, leaving them to a design team or an accessories designer, (2) the design teams often have little control...
Be sure to give it a very thorough going over; few months back checked out a number of the Spring Dunhill collection and many of the bags were made in... surprise... China.They weren't terrible quality, but the details/stitching didn't look so great, and the prices were nearly the same as the Italy/France/England etc. items.Basically looked/felt like expensive Coach. NOTE: I didn't see this particular bag, however, and not ALL the bags were MiC.
It can CHANGE, given oxidation, settling of the oils, etc. but it's not something that ages like a wine or scotch. So, no, I don't think really you could say it smells "better" if you mean an improvement upon what the parfumeur wants it to be the minute (s)he puts it in the bottle. It goes in at its peak and changes/degrades from there.My guess as to the "better" or "stronger" you describe has more to do with climate/weather in which you are wearing it than the actual...
+1. I'd say it's a number of complex factors... changing demographics (including emerging markets with little fashion historical memory, a lot of cash, and a desire for brand names), increased exposure and spending on huge boutiques and adverts, greater expansion/distribution of aftermarket and sales areas (which means they can mark things down multiple times without hurting their bottom line), increased influence of "private equity" firms or non-fashion related...
I finally sniffed Sycomore at my local Chanel boutique a few months back... I saw why so many like it. Definitely good juice and I could see myself owning some. Maybe next time there is a split...Another to try would be the old givenchy vetyver... it's harder to find and coveted by those who have it (unfortunately I don't!) .Overall, for me, the weird, dry pizza-doughy aspect of the Malle was hard to beat (ignoring $$$)
As I said on the other thread, but it warrants saying again... nice collection, Kai. A recent acquisition... before I left japan I thought I'd pick up a sailor, given the positive reviews here and elsewhere. This one is a black Somiko with the TIGP nib. Like Pilot, sailor is sort of like Toyota... making a corolla and making a Lexus. This one is toward the entry-level of their FPs... maybe in the whole lineup something like a Camry with leather interior (haha). Was...
There are so many in the line that this is easy to do. I actually did the same thing as I went through memory. Also came up with some other "mehs" (Cedre). Probably the most syrupy sweet one, so syrupy sweet that it somehow worked (though I could never wear it myself) was Rahat loukoum. Keiko Mecheri and Montale also did a nice "turkish delight" fragrance. Gourmand fans should definitely try all three...Yes, the TDC is a good one. Several members here (dopey...
Me, too! I would put Arabie in the same boat for thick heavy sweetness, and Miel de Bois for a sour, weird dry down feral honey note.Though they sell the entire line at the Shinjuku Isetan, the only Lutens I ever saw for sale at any of the secondary shops or boutiques here was Santal Blanc... which was really, really bad. I'm sure it had been sitting on their shelves for a while. It's like the bottled sweat of (elderly, insane) Liz Taylor's cleavage.
This was my problem with the reformulated Guerlain Vetiver, too. The old was a wonderful smokey tobacco vetiver, and the new one some sweet,creamy-ish citrus on top. Vetiver does best, IMHO, when it's quite dry and woody (one reason why I like Vetiver Extraordinaire so much).Most of my stuff is now packed up... so not many choices for SOTD. Have a small atomizer of n19 extrait I keep on hand, so will probably let this one travel with me...
Nice choices, fellas. The 50 years of Hedione above sounds interesting. I enjoy those kinds of things, conceptually if not as an actual scent (anybody remember Helmut Lang Velviona?) It's almost time for bed and I'm nursing a small cold... so not feeling like wearing much of any fragrance. I shall make sacrifices, however, for I haven't NOT worn a scent to bed in years. Maybe a little Arpege to tuck me in.