or Connect

Posts by rach2jlc

^Puts the wonderful Monty Python "Mr. Creosote" sketch in perspective! "I'll have the lot." "Would Monsieur like it all... mixed up in a bucket?"
Excellent post; very interesting and I especially agree with the bolded. What I find equally offensive is that such an attitude is, obviously, enabled by toadying customers who want to use dining as an accessory or chance to name drop (I dined at so-and-so!)It reminds me of an older colleague I had who was a gourmand, world-traveler, opera fan, etc. He and his wife spent a fortune on all of these things, and as I got to know him better, I realized he really had no taste...
I have almost no opinion of the EdP, as IIRC it's one of those Chanel EdPs (N5, Cristalle) that are a "reinterpretation" of the original. I remember sniffing it and going "huh?" But, IIRC it's friendlier and more floral, but I can't really say. I also didn't try the Poudre flanker...As for other scents, galbanum in large doses would give a green, resinous sort of vibe... not dry, but sort of oily in character. The old stinker Bandit EdT and Balmain Vent Vert come to...
It seems, as evident on this thread, that at some point the dynamic of fine dining changed from something of a service to something like entertainment. The distinction is that I always considered dining in the same category as staying at a hotel or getting a haircut: the more you pay the more it becomes catered to exactly what you want. I would assume, based on their posts, matt and the OP would be in this batch. On the other hand, it never occured to me that dining is...
Overall, yes. The classic Jil tailormade has been produced since the late 1990's, with little alteration. Very high armholes, little waist suppression, relatively narrow shoulders, LONG sleeves.Though, under Raf's tenure, it became slightly larger in silhouette. In any case, a nice suit and a deal at $300. I'd probably pay $500 or so for a good, classic color/fabric, unused Jil tailormade that was in my size.Did that pic come from the seller? if so, he's an SF member,...
$300 for Tailor made is a good deal. Tag looks like a Prada-period Sander suit. I've had many Jil suits and loved them. That's a good price if you like the aesthetic (not particularly slim, but sort of long and "boxy" slim). Sleeves will probably be quite long, and will have workable buttonholes, so adjusting them will require more effort than other suits. But, the suit was perhaps $2000 retail, so even if it required $150 in alterations, $450 is a good deal. To...
Good points. Also, the whole "I don't know much about this suit" routine basically gives the impression that I (as a customer) shouldn't pay much money for it. If you dont know much about it, study and learn what it is, and mark it accordingly. A listing and layout from a seller who appears to know his stuff will fetch more money than one who looks like he stumbled upon some suits at a thrift store and is just seeing what he can get from it.If you know nothing about it,...
Wearing recent (from the mid 2000's) post-reformulation Chanel 19 parfum this afternoon. Wow, am surprised. It's still good... don't get me wrong... but it's much lighter, friendlier, and less SHARP than the old. Less galbanum, less of the leather, more of the woody green. To be honest, if I had only access to the new stuff, I'd just get the EdT and be done with it. I don't see enough difference to warrant the difference in price (Chanel wants $105 for 7.5ml of...
This is why I like SF; sometimes I read something that comes from a perspective I honestly never considered. This is one of those times. In any case, your viewpoint seems entirely valid... which is probably why I rarely go out (and when I do, it's always to the same 3-4 places).And for morde: "This time you simply must remedy a situation that nearly rendered my last dining experience unpalatable: the vichyssoise had entirely too much vichy in it. I felt like a...
In theory, I think the OP's comments are fair; if you are paying that much for a meal, it should be exactly how you want it. Were I the owner of a fine restaurant, I'd want my customers giving me instructions like that to ensure that they enjoy their meal. It's important because, as another poster said, every place is quite different and some of the things the OP finds disagreeable are things other customers might want/expect.That being said, my only curiousity is...