or Connect

Posts by rach2jlc

Yeah, Dunhill and such leave me unimpressed as well. In the past few seasons, too, I was surprised to see $1000+ bags made in China from unimpressive leather and hardware. Asprey is a little too "stuffy" for most users, as well.I agree re: totes; keep a lookout on Ebay as sometimes they'll have some nice Margiela or Neil Barrett Totes at fair prices. Neil Barrett is one who often flies under the radar, but makes some nice standard minimal bags. A lot of people forget...
Oops, I missed your balenciaga discussion. I haven't seen any recent Balenciaga collections (meaning the past two years or so).BUT, in the old days, the "crinkly" bags were a very nice coated goatskin (IIRC). Soft, supple, yet very hard wearing. I have no idea what they are using these days. Like YSL (another Gucci group brand), I wouldn't be surprised at all if they've cut additional corners (for example, the YSL bags marked "Bufalo" mostly aren't actually buffalo...
Kira, I don't know UK bags as well as other members might... asides from the usual "older" gentleman-ly bags like Dunhill, Asprey, etc. Jas MB was super popular in Japan and makes nice stuff, if you like the styling (sort of goth-ninja Yohji chic); Bill Amberg was always a "go to" but lately his prices seem far higher than in the past. Paul Smith is of course another; while I like some of his clothes, his bags have always left me unimpressed for quality/price ratio....
One possible alternative to a frame bag would be to have zippers that extend fully to the side, but an inside gusset that connects the two ends. It serves the purpose of keeping the bag soft (without a frame) but also keeping it upright (so it doesn't flop totally open like a suitcase).Pardon the bad pic, but I snapped a pic of a duffle I have to show what I mean. You are seeing the SIDE of the bag, where the zips extend along down toward the base. The gusset holds the...
Up to 80% of the goal in 24 hours! That seems pretty great; out of curiosity, is that in line with your goals/expectations?Jumping the gun in anticipation of your $100k... I'm on board with your next collection featuring a tote. I'd also add a weekender/duffle. Both bag styles are classic, but actually quite hard to design just right. SO, regardless of the success of your first campaign... don't rush it!Especially with a weekender... they tend to be either too big (ie...
Unfortunately, no. This has always been the trouble: 1) They are usually only available in stores without much of an online presence; (2) those that are online don't speak English and only ship domestic Japan and (3) by the time you'd convert from Yen and pay for any shipping/proxy services, they'd no longer be very affordable.Shipping alone for a bag from japan would run you $30-50 depending on the service, another $25-50 for the proxy. At the price level you're...
Very true and good points. I think that's why the market is responding with increased support of smaller, quieter, high-quality brands like yours and the other few affiliates some of us are talking about.The days where a buyer in North America has only the choice of Kenneth Cole crap at $300... or conversely shoddily made Prada at $1500... are thankfully gone. Japan figured this out about two decades ago with a huge range of $400-800 excellent bags. We in the USA have...
Leather/textile strap for a messenger isn't really a dealbreaker for me, only because there are some good reasons for it that have nothing to do with cost savings (often it is a matter of decreasing bag weight or getting it to fit snugly across the chest). Depending on how one wears the bag and the type of one's commute, different strap materials can be more durable than leather.Pet peeves/dealbreakers for me are the obvious hallmarks of corner cutting: crap...
I think you made a good choice; there's nothing wrong with Coach but you'd have paid about $150 more for a bag of inferior quality/details.As for me, the biggest dilemma will be intercepting the mailman in January before my spouse sees the Linjer box. I've had an embargo on leather goods imposed on me until I agree to some kitchen renovations.
I'm a little late to the party (that's what I get for going to bed so early!), but chalk up one more cognac portfolio and a laptop sleeve. edit; 33% on the way to their target goal in just a few hours. Congrats!