or Connect

Posts by rach2jlc

Welcome to the club! I still love this one, and find it remarkably wearable, even after all these years. PM was my "first" real fragrance ages ago, and it's held up remarkably well in my estimation. Try Tiffany for Men sometime, if you like the Chanel. Both by the same guy, both with similar DNA, but they didn't get all screwy with the Tiffany over the years.
Or, Creed is the Rolex/Montblanc of the fragrance world.I've had 15 or more of them, so I feel like I can criticize from knowledge. My overall impression is that they are "nice" scents. Unfortunately, they're sales and marketing strategy is not to let their "nice" scents sell themselves, but instead make up a fake history, outright lie (does anybody think they REALLY use all natural ambergris???), or try to beat you over the head with "snob" appeal or celebrity...
Synthese makes a good point above as well, but if you don't want to start all the way from the beginning... I would start with the last month or so (meaning August 2012 and later). It's really been great recently, with some unique scents. The early days saw a few committed posters and a lot of "ground clearing." Seriously, the evolution of scent discussion on SF has been amazing. Basically, it went from, "I'm not wearing that; it's made for GIRLZ" and "Dude, cologne is...
What about smell of laundry? Linens on the table? What time of day the person took a bath? Unless your sense is developed enough that you can smell, and distinguish, all these and they also nauseate you, you wouldn't get any more of that from a fine fragrance. Good ones create an overall mood or impression, but don't announce themselves.Again, I''m not directing this at you specifically, but at the general dismissive tone about fragrances present in some members above. ...
The thing is, most fine fragrances won't advertise themselves any more than a fine suit will. Sure, that synthetic bergamot monster bought at the department store counter might, but then again the black shirt and shiny white tie wearing fellow two tables away will as well.In short, fragrance is like suits, shoes, and everything else. For every Men's Wearhouse, there is an Attolini... for every JOOP is a Pierre Montale.Many new to fragrances, as many who were new to fine...
Well, I for one would enjoy being your server or having you in my restaurant (if I had one). You aren't being rude, doing anything egregious, or anything negative. You know what you want and aren't making a show of it. All you are doing is showing a wealth of experience and knowledge about fine dining, and any restaurant or server "on his/her toes" or who knows his/her stuff would have a wonderful experience with you.Anyway, I enjoy reading threds/posts like this because...
^If you're not on a quest to "learn" the vanilla note, I wouldn't bother with the Montale. It's quite pricey, and a small sample probably wouldn't give you time/space to wrap your nose around. But, if you happen just to run upon it, give it a sniff. Speaking of, I used to enjoy very much doing those kinds of "learnings" by trying a lot of stuff built around a certain note. It definitely helped to work on civet, which is a strange stinky chameleon. Sandalwood has been...
^See if you can find Montale Chypre Vanille sometime, if you are into vanilla scents. I'm NOT, but that one was a very unique take on the note. For me, a little vanilla goes a long way, and outside the "guerlinade' base it usually becomes too sweet for me. BUT, the Montale was quite different. But, full disclosure, I traded away my bottle 4-5 (maybe six?) years ago, so again I can't remember specifically what made it unique, except at the time that I remember saying,...
Thanks, parker. +1 on the HL (the EdC or the EdP?) Both are wonderful and created by one of my favorite "noses," Maurice Roucel (who also made Bond Riverside Drive, Malle Musc Ravageur, just to name a few).As others have mentioned, we have some good, ongoing fragrance threads in the Health & Beauty section. With "Scent of the Day," the last month or two worth have really been excellent. Many posters branching out, trying new things, and not being afraid to look in some...
You're welcome. It's all just intended to help you make a better profit. With designer and/or luxe stuff, image is important. Think about it... why do Gucci or Louis vuitton maintain stores on madison Ave that cost millions of dollars per month in a lease? Image.If they had a broken down store in an alleyway and, upon entering, told you "eh, I don't know much about this stuff, but here's the bag," it's doubtful they could get thousands of bucks for stuff.Best of luck...