or Connect

Posts by rach2jlc

I haven't worn Tea for Two in years, but it's a lovely one. Powdery? Also try PdN New York and Bois du Portugal! (for masculine powders). Interesting that I don't get powder from Shalimar. Yet again the joys of how scents affect noses differently. Powder for me also runs close to aldehydes, ala No5 and L'interdit. I tried Oud Fleur today (TF). Like it. Need to apply again before posting an actual review. Post-shower and just before bed, needed something familiar...
Dzongkha today for a cool, dry, crisp Thursday.Interesting; I also get a lot of vetiver in the base which I guess could give the "green" touch. To me, though, the cedar comes up to my nose more than the green. I agree I'd like more of the stinky melon. This was one thing that made DIOR DIOR (long discontinued) so interesting. Therese is probably the closest thing to it, but it was more of a cross between this and Diorella, with the persistent fruit note.
The original (which came in a long, thin bottle like a track baton) was a very licorishy-gourmand. I must admit I wasn't as amazed by it as by the hype that surrounded it... but it was still a nice fragrance. I think I ended up trading my big bottle for some Jicky back in 2005 or 2006.
^Blast from the past. Haven't had Yohji Homme in years (the original Patou one)... I did L'heure Bleue today and even those who hate my usual old-lady stinkers found this one lovely. And rightly so.
I agree. Usually fragrance narratives leave me going, "meh," but I like this one. Also love the little graphic of the lady riding the tiger. Giacobetti, like Ropion and Maurice Roucel, are probably the three greatest "new" noses out there.Cab driver eats an orange! Wonderful scent that is one of my favorites. It's just too damn $$$$ so I never seem to have a steady supply.
^Some great, dark "moving into fall" scents on deck this week. Great choices! I'm feeling the mood as well and reached for DZING! even before reading the thread today. I really like DZING! and find it a unique and complex scent. It's sort of leathery, sort of stinky, but then has a very soft, quiet sweetness to it. If only it had a rotten melon in it somewhere, it might just hit all my major points (j/k).
I sort of feel the same way about Diorella, though even by the same house it's on the opposite end of the spectrum. It's complexity and extreme subtlety are what I think makes it feel so "real" or very natural when worn.It's been many moons since I was able to get my hands on any Jules... so I need to seek some out to revisit.
I haven't tried Papillon Salome yet... but based on that description, I certainly shall.
Tauer is one of the few newish niche houses that I think really does some neat stuff.
IMHO the whole Oud thing is getting way out of hand; I sincerely hope Estee Lauder isn't planning to use Malle as a flagship "ultra super premium" market to float ridiculously overpriced juice to rich people spritzing in their Bugattis. I'm not saying it can't be good... Ropion is a gem... but that pricing starts to get into Clive Christian "most expensive perfume in the world" territory and all the accompanying ass-hattery.Anyway, I'll definitely sniff and try it if I get...