or Connect

Posts by rach2jlc

^Good ones. I'm layering today as well. I decided to try Red Roses (Jo Malone) over Chanel CdR. It's really quite a nice pairing; it deepens the Malone and enunciates the rose at the top of the CdR. It definitely doesn't necessarily improve CdR (which is pretty perfect as is), but it does add something unexpected to a scent I know well and love.
Excellent post. For me, this started probably 7-8 years ago and is what caused me largely to abandon trying all this new stuff and just go back to the "real" classics (trying out both their altered and vintage forms). It really made me appreciate parfumery again after getting fairly burned out. It's far, far worse now in terms of the "pseudo-niche" (as you say) and like you, I just sort of glance here to see what new stuff might be worth trying. Otherwise, I'll stick...
Exactly.I think it's a combination of over saturation of fragrance houses, a condensed (almost fashion-like) seasonal schedule, and a lack of general knowledge about scent on the part of the buying public (who nevertheless is willing to pay niche prices). It reminds me of the premium denim market in the early-mid 2000's... you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting nineteen $300 denim makers. Many of them are no longer in existence, and rightly so.These houses feel...
My post was about recent Bally.
In general, I think the consensus is that Bally's aren't so great for their pricepoint. For a great deal, they are probably not bad. Main thing is whether they fit you, they fit your budget/wardrobe, and you like them. If "yes," then they are a keeper. Bally Scribes are very nice; they are the higher-end line. I have a pair of Spectators that are very lovely. But, again, at their superlative pricepoint ($1000+)... one could find better. But, overall, I don't think...
This was the one general-audience/easily obtained Creed I liked with little hesitation (though some of the older, harder to find ones were nice). And then when I had to listen/read the awful advert copy that "David Bowie wears this!" I wanted to gag. I mean, maybe he spritzed it on once, back in the 1990's... but I doubt he's slathering it on each day. And even if he did... who the f$ cares. You might give Diptyque Florabellio a try as well. It has an interesting...
Probably more former than latter, but I'll claim the latter. As for C&S, oh yeah. A Basenotes favorite. There were so many back in the fun days. Yohji PH, Chergui, PdN New York, even Bois du Portugal (speaking of, I need to revisit that one).I finished up this evening with the old EdT of Chanel Cristalle. A wonderful, sharp, almost acrid scent that I still find fascinating. Not to be confused with the smoother EdP or "Eau Verte" blend.Edit:Going to wear Cristalle EdT...
Guerlain Herba Fresca (Aqua Allegoria) today. I rarely wear this one, but it's perfect for today's weather: humid and rainy, but not really all that HOT. Just sort of "thick." This one cuts through it without being too cloying, too heavy, or too fleeting. As often happens with any fragrance line that deploys a great number of scents in a short time (including Tom Ford!)... there are some hits and misses in the Aqua Allegoria line. My favorites were this one,...
I haven't.Then again, over the years I've tried random DIY stuff and it almost ALWAYS turns out the same. Seems like a fun idea that should take 45 minutes start to finish. Then, eight hours later, after $60 in supplies and after you've made a total mess out of your kitchen/bathroom, you get a final product that isn't nearly a good as the $25 you could have just gotten from the start.Body wash isn't cost prohibitive and, again, there are so many established selections out...
^Yes, as the OP says, despite that Bally is a Swiss brand, many (if not most) of its goods are made elsewhere like just about any other brand (Coach, Prada, Dior are American, Italian, French respectively... but you'll find their goods made everywhere from Romania to Turkey to China). I haven't had too many issues with the quality of Bally's stuff; it's just very pricey for what you are getting (like any other high fashion brand). Prada was once one of my favorites, but...