or Connect

Posts by Frog in Suit

It is a bit of a Catch 22 situation: to develop a RTW line (and publicize it and sell it…), you need pots of money. If you are an old traditional SR house, you do not have pots of money. There are exceptions: Anderson & Sheppard (Rowland money), Huntsman (Messrs L’Roubi and Lagrange’s money, I would surmise chiefly the latter’s), Gieves and Hawkes (Who owns them?) but, as far as I know, this is about it.The others (Poole, Davies, Dege, Meyer & Mortimer, Benson & Clegg,...
Eyeballing the UK CPI for the approximate same period, I get a yearly average of ... TWO percent!I would submit that going RTW is not the only way: Anderson & Sheppard seem to have started a haberdashery, Poole (I think) has RTW but only in Japan, etc…I should think both had access to capital in order to expand, whereas many other firms do not. I fail to see how those ventures have had any effect, good or bad, on their core bespoke businesses.I think you can also continue,...
My experience is that bespoke prices have been rising much faster than inflation for ever, or at least for as long as I can remember. I could buy a (two-piece) suit for about a thousand GBP twenty years ago (admittedly not from the most expensive SR firms). I am now looking at four thousand.How much inflation is that? Anyone with a head for numbers?Buy now, while you can…The clothes last a long time and never go out of fashion. How else can I attempt to justify the expense...
For what it’s worth, in the case of my tailor (Jones Chalk & Dawson / Meyer & Mortimer) it is always the cutter / head cutter (Mr Paul Munday) who travels. I have no idea where that idea that SR firms send a “non-cutter” overseas comes from.M & M, of course, are run and owned by their cutters / MDs, which in why I chose them in the first place.Frog in Suit
Slightly off topic, perhaps? Frog in Suit
Precisely. Frog in Suit
Pope & Bradley have been part of Dege since at least the 1980's (?). Source: Directory at the end of The Savile Row Story by Richard Walker. Frog in Suit
"Posher than Hermès" ??? I do not believe for one instant that such a thing exists .My -- limited -- experience of Hermès sales staff (only in Paris) is that they are unfailingly polite. Mind you, I do not make a habit of ruffling salesmen's feathers when I shop.Frog in Suit
I would not dream of asking for a discount at an Hermès shop. The only one I have ever been to is the one in Paris but I would be surprised if this did not apply to all their shops. If you were a billionaire, a member of a reigning house or a world-class “celebrity” you might ask them (through your butler, agent, local ambassador…) to shop there after hours with only your wives, mistresses, children and close friends but I do not know if that would mean discounted prices....
I remember Mr Boddy, from ca. 1984. The place looked like a hovel, with worn wooden floors and low ceilings, exposed beams etc… in a nice worn Dickensian way, reached by a few steps below street level. I had the impression that Mrs Boddy was the one keeping things going in some sort of order such as ensuring garments were paid for… The prices were low, lower even than Tom Brown’s up the street. As to the garments being factory made, I remember, on one of my few visits, a...