or Connect

Posts by Lucky Strike

Quote: Originally Posted by sonick The "academic quadrangle" of my alma mater. Yea or nay? Quote: Originally Posted by meister Mussolini/ish... Musso had some fantastic architects working for him. Terragni, Nervi, Ponti... For that association you should really see the Oslo univ. library:
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeDT The US Embassy in Beijing is interesting though. I'm trying to work out why there is a stack of giant lollypops/popsicles in the lake. It riffs a lot on Durell Stone's New Delhi embassy:
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeDT The US Embassy in London is rather ugly as well. Same architect? Same one.
God aften! Come on, that's Eero Saarinen (Oslo US embassy)! Not his most interesting building, but it used to be quite elegant in a sort of menacing way, with the triangular shape, the exterior all in polished black granite (?) and all the antennas and dishes on the roof. Very Mad Men/James Bond. It was ruined by the post-9/11 security measures, with "anti-tank" bollards, steel fences and stuff, IMO. The interiors are also partly ruined, but the entrance area and some...
Look up Ettore Sottsass and the Memphis Group, early 80s:
Quote: Originally Posted by Desi May not be a fan of the way the outside structure looks but I adore the fireplace. Really out there. Thanks! Yeah, I guess the exterior's an acquired taste. Better pic of the fireplace: I also like how the previous owners kept the original ceiling mouldings; it's supposedly the only place left in the building. Here's another flat, 2nd floor in the building, for sale now. It was bought by a commercial...
You like it, the ham? Messed up the cutting at the end, was still just too juicy: Reducing gravy, added some estragon and some balsamic near the end: Veg added: And let me just say that this thread has picked up immensely since I last posted; I almost didn't find the courage to post some simple piggery. Wow.
Art history, architectural history and conservation. Dropped out of law school about halfway through.
Crosspost from my apartment thread/update: I'm loving the new place; it's a 1939 building in a far more radical modernist/international style, and built to higher standards - there's polished oak floors, a big fireplace, a balcony, a bedroom for the offspring, and far, far better kindergartens and schools around than this area offers. The area we left is a just-now-gentrifying, old working-class part of town, and schools, parking, quiet at night etc. isn't the priority for...
Apartment update: I'm loving the new place; it's a 1939 building in a far more radical modernist/international style, and built to higher standards - there's polished oak floors, a big fireplace, a balcony, a bedroom for the offspring, and far, far better kindergartens and schools around than this area offers. The area we left is a just-now-gentrifying, old working-class part of town, and schools, parking, quiet at night etc. isn't the priority for the students, hipsters...