or Connect

Posts by Lucky Strike

I remember this room from an earlier post you made - it's going to look splendid. The gallery/balcony space is just made for hanging paintings. I think the Noguchi table will work well, a bit of classic modernism can break up any "igent's library" associations. On that note - are you sure about the chesterfield sofa? Check out the Kubus series, designed by Hoffmann. Same funcion and comfort as a trad chesterfield, but slightly more modern-looking and less bulbuous. I...
Wrong.
Well, it's a fairly common occurence, to put it mildly. And anything "impressive" will generally have very non-juvenile price-tags.
Anyone with any knowledge about art will be very unimpressed by both "inkjet art prints of famous paintings, or oil painting reproductions of famous paintings". I guess that's what you really mean when you ask what's most "respectable". Well, the closest parallel I can think of is wearing fake luxury clothing with loud logos; it will only impress the people you don't really have a need for impressing, while the people who can tell - and care about - the difference will...
Stylistically, the decoration is Art Nouveau, or rather the German Jugendstil variant. It's probably not as old as early 20th century, but it looks, at least, like something made in Germany between, say, 1895 and 1910. The most obvious reference would be Peter Behrens' designs, or something by the Brit/US arts-and-crafts movement, see CR Mackintosh. The "fraction" on the bottom is most likely a factory code for model/decor (or decor/model). Very common on German and...
Remove all tags and logos, where practically possible.
Quote: Originally Posted by GoneBabyGone My son needs to buy his GF a diamond engagement ring. I was in NYC recently and browsed 47th Street for him. He is meeting me in NYC next month to shop for a ring in his price range. I am his moral support. I am going to Amsterdam in September, so I could purchase a ring on his behalf while there, given that I know what he is looking for from the NYC trip (and by taking photos and emailing them for his...
IT'S A TRAP! I'll rehash some previous posts of mine - there are also several good threads about buying engagement rings/diamonds. Disclaimer: I'm no great expert, but I work with several valuers/gemmologists daily. Few things depreciate as badly in value as jewellery does. "Investment-grade" jewellery is generally...not. DeBeers are continually fighting the growing industry in synthetic diamonds, but it's probably only a question of a very short time before the...
Quote: Originally Posted by ma1 Easiest way to find out if someone's opinion on architecture should be dismissed outright is to ask them what they think about brutalism. So, what do you think about brutalism?
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Classter Athens, well it's a shame it's such a dirty slummy city. Nice history, but see it once, take pictures, and never go back IMO. Forgot about Athens, agree completely.