or Connect

Posts by Mr. Pink

I'm a perfect 11F in G&G MH71 (the same size in TG73 is a little loose) and an 11E with adjustments in Anthony Cleverly. My current sizing in St. C is 10.5F for the left foot and 10G for the right, both with pret adjustments. This was after some negotiation. Phillip initially wanted to put me in a 10 for the left foot as well. I don't know if you were fitted by Phillip but he likes a tight fit and bases his advice accordingly. I think his view is that, over the long...
If I were doing it over again, I would start out with a personalized last and trial pair. For me there was a lot of pain involved in getting to a good fit. On my next pair, I may well ask for a personal last since I expect to order more pairs and am paying for 3 pret adjustments per shoe. Depends on the cost of the personal last.
My first pair of St. Crispins were in a standard size. I purchased them from LeatherSoul BH. I was strongly discouraged from asking for pret adjustments. I went with LSBH's advice though I was skeptical that the shoes would fit without adjustments and they didn't. So tight they were painful and had to be sent back for relasting and even then required lengthy break in. Second pair was purchased again at LSBH at a trunk show with Phillip. Size and pret adjustments made...
Skip charcoal and get a medium or even dark grey. Charcoal is much harder to wear.
I think that by default Chan makes a nicely finished suit that is pseudo-Neapolitan, quasi-"modern", and on the whole bland. It's a suit designed by committee (or by the internet). But it's possible to get a suit that doesn't fit this description if you make clear to Patrick what you want. Can you get a suit with the style and personality of an A&S double-breasted? Probably not. But Chan can and will make a very nice suit if you know what you want and ask for it. ...
Though I'm generally a fan of straight-sided, higher crowns, I agree. I think the Borsalino sisal has the best balance of crown and brim width for your face. But, I'd also suggest sending the pics along to Art and getting his input. He's very good at working with you to produce a great looking hat. You don't need to dictate crown height or brim width to the millimeter.
My experience is similar. I've had two pairs re-lasted to give me more room, particularly across the right foot but the difference is minor compared to the shoes that were lasted with correct adjustments from the beginning. However, the first of the two pairs has now stretched to point that it's entirely comfortable. The second is getting there. St. Crispins take a really long time to fully break in and stretch out.@Itsuo, what's the upcharge for a personal last? I'm...
I had forgotten about Hober because Black Watch was out of stock for so long. But, it occurred to me this morning and I placed an order. David's reppes are not quite matte but neither are they satin finished like Ben Silver's.
Will (A Suitable Wardrobe) used to carry these. I remember seeing that he had them. The next day I went to purchase and they were sold out. He has never restocked. I would gladly join a group purchase for this as well.
@brillopad, hope you'll press ahead on the cashmere knit. I haven't seen any available other than on Will's site and that was several years ago. Seems like the kind of basic but unavailable item that's perfect for this process.