or Connect

Posts by RedLantern

Displaced for the week while the floors are being refinished. Thankfully they could sand out almost all of the stains + paint etc. that had accumulated for 55 years - fairly certain the floors had not been previously refinished.Stopped by Monday night to grab a few things that we forgot and took a look around after the initial sanding - so excited! Looks great so far. Picked up a rather large (6ft long) interesting mid-century coffee table from craigslist today for $130....
What kind of firewood you have?Here in the PNW oak is fairly hard to come by. In my woodpile I've got a little fir for getting things started, then apple wood (abundant in WA as apple growers are constantly ripping out and replanting orchards) and then a bunch of large-split locust for the fire once it matures.
Getting the oak floors refinished next week, so we're finishing up painting the back bedrooms (already painted the front rooms - living and dining) while we've got them empty. Painting is not my favorite, but I'm getting a lot of help from my mother and I'm getting a lot better at it. Rewarding to make progress on the skill, and it's kind of cool to be taught by my mother because it was my father who taught her to paint (he died in 2008 was 20 years her senior) so it kind...
Me? No, just a waiter. Our list is small-timer. No need for a somm. I was posting in response to a previous post about what to bring for TG.
In regards to Thanksgiving wine selection, I really like the following advice (culled from an email from my local wine mailing list The Full Pull): Generally, wines for Thanksgiving should display the following characteristics: 1. Low alcohol. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. You want to be buzzed enough that Uncle Bruce’s jokes are funny, but you don’t want to be passed out before the cranberry sauce slithers out of the can. 2. High acid. Have you seen the horrors of...
+1For example, the place I work at has a small-timer wine list where our most expensive bottle is $150. If someone asked me how much it was I would say one-fifty, rather than one hundred fifty. Of course, it's patently ridiculous that a bottle of wine would be one dollar and fifty cents in a restaurant, but I can envision some restaurants where a bottle of wine for thirty seven dollars and fifty cents would be nearly equally ridiculous.Though as a waiter I agree 100% that...
True story:My sister refused to get her license until nearly her 18th birthday when my mother bought her a mini. It is unclear weather she was explicitly holding out or my mother bribed her of her own accord. My sister still refuses to drive anything else. Also, despite having a tiny car, she she found it too difficult to pull in alongside my mothers car in the two car garage :/
We, very briefly, had a tannat by the glass at the restaurant. It was not well received by the masses.
Had a tire blow out on I-90 in the middle of Lake Washington last night. :/ I just bought the car a couple of weeks ago and knew I needed at least 2 new tires, but the blowout was one of the "good" tires. Because it was almost midnight and I was pulled off onto the narrow shoulder of a floating bridge I didn't want to sit in my car and risk getting hit (even with my hazards on), so I got out and climbed over a concrete barrier that separates the car lanes from a bike...
Anybody have experience with online wine auctions? I've been looking around a little and it seems like a good way to get some interesting stuff, especially well-aged wine. Anyone have a recommendation for a particular site? How does shipping usually work? Would I be better off looking for a west-coast auctioneer to minimize travel of the wine, or does the wine typically ship from different sites?