or Connect

Posts by literasyme

Quote: Originally Posted by SpooPoker NEW WITH TAGS - brand new, has a tag hanging from it NEW WITHOUT TAGS - never worn the label that hangs from it is missing NEW WITH DEFECTS - NWT but shopwear/damages PREOWNED - used and worn End of story. Could be from 1900 or 10 minutes ago, does not matter at all. /discussion This. But of course linguistics, semantics, and lexicography are all tricky subjects in which the semi-knowledgeable...
No, a good tailor wouldn't touch the back seam. Sides get taken in from the back seam of the side panels (on RTW coats, the pockets normally make it impossible to take in the front seams, I believe; I don't know if patch pockets make a difference). If necessary, your tailor can remake the vents. The real question, though, is why you would want to alter the coat at all, and what the consequences would be. You say it fits well as is when buttoned -- i.e., the way it was...
And while Webster's is a fairly mediocre dictionary, and does therefore not cover this particular meaning of "new," it has some that approximate it, 2a in particular: something does not have to have "come into existence" recently (1a) in order to be "seen, used, or known for a short time" (2a). Intriguingly, this definition of "new" would actually cover lightly used items, just as long as they've not been in use for long. As I said, crappy dictionary.
Quote: Originally Posted by steinwaytony I grabbed a NWOT BB Black Fleece OCBD from eBay a few months ago. I had a chuckle when I saw the seller hadn't bothered to rip the tag off that indicated the season the shirt was from: F/W 2007. But for $40 shipped, no sense in raising hell. Sadly, one just sort of expects it -- even from The Super Power Trusted eBay Sellers. I don't understand your point. The "n" in NWT/NWOT does not mean...
Yes. I might be a touch more cautious, but B&S is, generally speaking, pretty safe. At least in my experience.
I agree -- and I didn't mean to call Despos out in any way. On the other hand, the shortness of the sleeves in those photos (not yours) is obviously real and has nothing to do with a lack of photo skills. My point wasn't that those sleeves are too short per se -- I do believe sleeve length is a matter of personal choice -- but that if this weren't a bespoke suit, people would consider them too short, a reaction the same sleeves do not seem to get because the garment is...
Quote: Originally Posted by voxsartoria I always like this Despos number that was posted on AAAC a few years ago: I like these -- not what I'd choose to wear, given the amount of structure, but very nicely shaped. One thing, though: clearly, the wearer (and/or Despos) decided to keep the sleeves that short. I'm fairly certain that if this were an RTW suit, people would say they're too short. No?
Quote: Originally Posted by jacnyr Would you feel more impressed if they said Mike Tyson or Justin Timberlake wears their suits? Er. No. But it would be good for them if they could name at least one person known for his style -- if not an outright style icon -- and still alive who wears their clothes. That's what the big name bespoke houses tend to do: go back into the illustrious past and link it to more contemporary clients. And whether...
It's not a bad video, but the whole "bespoke" angle just seems misguided. I also wonder if they couldn't have found SOMEONE post-1950s who's been known to wear their suits -- Clark Gable and Joe DiMaggio aren't exactly huge names to conjure with these days.
Quote: Originally Posted by GBR Your claimed poverty does nnot give you any right to waste their time. Good grief. Edit: Not sure Volpe is still around.