or Connect

Posts by literasyme

Really! Interesting, and not half bad. How do you know it's BC?
Quote: Originally Posted by Siggy This is correct. Anyway, in English I assume a correct enough pronunciation is Blue-cher. It is like arguing how Americans should correctly pronouce the latin prononciation of cesar... Oh, but that surely isn't settled anywhere in the world!
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackhood I'm wondering if there may be some phonetic confusion as I pronounce Rue to rhyme with Tube, Lube and Harpoon, as well as the ü sound in German. Maybe I'm wrong in both languages, it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Interesting. Given that you're in the UK, you surely don't pronounce "tube" and "harpoon" the same, do you? But no, the "oo" in harpoon, or the flat American "oo" in "tube" or "news" are...
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackhood I thought the ü was more of an "oooh" sound? No, it's not. It's virtually the same as the French u (as in Rue, for instance). Much closer to "ee" than to "oo" in English.
Quote: Originally Posted by Siggy Is it "tomaaato" or "tomaahto"? Blucher was a German general's name, so if you really wanted to pronounce it correctly you would have to use the German pronunciation "Jawohl Blucher!" (more towards "blue"...) Well, it's Blücher, isn't it -- so it should, technically, be closer to Blee-kher (since English doesn't have that diphthong; it's like the French u; the "ch" also isn't "tsh" or "ck" but a softer...
Quote: Originally Posted by academe As has often been said you either like drape or not. At some point you just don't get any more mileage from arguing about it further... +1 However, the extended shoulders are something else. We could argue -- pointlessly -- about whether we like them or not, but I would say again that an RTW jacket with shoulders like that would be criticized as being too big or ill fitting, whereas in a bespoke jacket, they...
Not to get too metaphysical, but do you really see the soul of a shoe embodied in its sole? Surely the last, or maybe the patina, is closer to the mark....
Looks like this thread is sort of back on track. Interesting discussion of that jacket. Personally, this does strike me as an instance where something that would be seen as a flaw in a RTW garment becomes a feature of a particular bespoke tailor's house style. I'm pretty sure that such a shoulder, if displayed in a WAYWT post and on a RTW garment, would be called sloppy, ill-fitting, or simply "too wide." But how can we have it both ways? If this sort of effect can be...
How come AE refused to deal with them?
Actually, no. Books may come shrink-wrapped -- though many don't -- in which case they'd be "NWT" in eBay's lexicon. But the other book descriptions essentially match up to various shadings of "Used," which eBay, AFAIK, doesn't prescribe but leaves to the seller. You do have a point that further differentiating distinct categories of usedness would be helpful. With books, it doesn't necessarily matter if a particular volume has been read -- it may still look like new....