or Connect

Posts by Bill Smith

Finally grabbed a pair of Loake Chester short wings from Woolridge Shoes. Ivor is still working on getting Cheaney in but he's doing ok with Loake 1880. Again, he cares about fit and for that expertise I'm fine paying full price for that. My apologies for the crappy picture.
Just picked up a pair of mahogany Chesters at Woolridge Shoes downtown Toronto before dinner.
That's what drives me nuts with local pricing, what's mid market elsewhere becomes "luxury" here. Talking to Ivor at Woolridge Shoes a few months back, he plans to have Cheaney in around the $600 range when he starts carrying the line. Now truth of the matter it's probably a $500 and change shoe but you can thank currency fluctuations and whatever the tariff is on shoes made outside of North America ( I would not hold your breath with the EU free trade agreement,that's...
Cheaney isn't flashy enough for Holts. That's also a reason why as RogerP pointed out that Harry Rosen carries clown shoes. Well made classic footwear isn't popular with menswear retailers in Toronto and by extension Canada. There's very much equating brand name i.e. Canali, Boss etc. equals quality. Personally I rather take either Cheaney or Crockett and Jones if given access to it.
I've walked past but never been in Leatherfoot in Yorkville and every time, I don't recall seeing customers in there. If they lost a valued sales associate and stock is taking it's sweet time to arrive, it's a safe bet the store ain't doing so well which is a pity.
I stopped by Woolridge Shoes a few weeks ago, it's a nice little store, for now they only stock Loake but Ivor is planning to carry Cheaney later this fall. I got my eye on a pair of Loake country brogues in mahogany.
Is it just me, or do 97% of classic menswear stores in the GTA carry the same 25~ brands? I've been compiling a list of menswear stores in the GTA and it's as it's as if every store sells Alberto, Strellson, Coppley, John Varvatos, etc. I imagine it's a matter of selling what you think will sell best: after all, businesses need to make money. I also don't expect every store to be a Bogart or a Nicolas and carry numerous different labels not seen anywhere else. Yet I just...
I haven't set foot in a Harry Rosen store in years, I get sticker shock from just visiting their site.
I stopped by Woolridge's yesterday around 5 and chatted with Ivor for a good half hour, didn't buy anything because I was on my way to an event last night. This guy knows the shoe business and how to properly fit shoes. I'm a size a 11 c on the Banrock device and I found out I was a 9.5 in a pair of Loake 1880 Chester Wingtip Brogues which I'm going to buy in the near future once he gets the mahogany colour in stock. Ivor is bringing in Cheaney shoes later on in the fall...