or Connect

Posts by andrewro

Tried to reply just now, as I've had a few PMs about this repair, but I can't see my post so I am trying again. I wound up doing a couple coats of saphir renovateur, then a couple of coats of Kiwi neutral wax, then adding a plastic heel tap plate. I only wear them once a month or so but so far they are fine.
They appear to be a mild steel. The box they were in was very old-school, probably had them for twenty or more years. Here's a couple of V-cleat replacements I saw on the forum: http://www.styleforum.net/t/241860/great-work-for-45-resoling-florsheim-kenmore-longwings and http://www.styleforum.net/t/104334/resoling-florsheim-shell-longwings-w-joh-redenbach#post_1782553 I was inspired by these threads to give it a go, once they said they could do it. Regarding the...
Hi everyone, this is the first time I've started a thread here, after many years of lurking and learning. I bought some Florsheim Longwings on the bay a couple weeks ago (my third pair of Imperials), and the heels were a little more rounded and worn than I like. I stopped in to ask my local cobbler about a combo toplift, and he asked if they had the old leather heels. The guys then showed me a box full of new v-cleats and talked some about how they used to do them all the...
I have used Barbara's Alterations on North Ave (in the rundown shopping center near the loop) for several years - I'm actually heading there this week. She's reasonably priced and skilled and has done the usual stuff for me, including waist and hems, and waist suppression in jackets. She also removed some shoulder padding in a sportcoat once, and reset the back of the collar on a TAT suit jacket to eliminate some ripples between my shoulder blades. Always satisfactory.
@JustinW - I bought one of each of the V-neck sweaters in size L when I ordered my suit in April... I believe he had L only, and not many remaining.
I had those horizontal wrinkles below the collar in back. My tailor detached the collar at the base, trimmed the excess fabric from the back, and reattached the collar. She called it a "collar roll" but I'm not sure if this is a standard term. It's not the cheapest of alterations, but it doesn't seem to be out of the ordinary. BTW I still don't have any good "after" pics - still waiting on wedding photos after almost three months, and it's just too hot right now to put the...
I have to agree - try a smaller shirt. I'm 6'2" 185lbs and I wear a M in Hanes, AA, etc. My wife got me a couple of SMALL v-necks from the Gap recently that are a bit too big! What is your height and weight, and what size Ts are you buying right now?
Hard to believe I've been a member here for probably five years without ever posting! I just received my first order, a med/light grey PoW #52, 2 button conservative cut with 2.5 lapels and working sleeve buttons. I kept the overlapping ticket pocket and frogmouth pockets on trousers. I'm 6' 2" and around 185 lbs, so the lapels are still on the narrow side for my size, which is what I wanted. I love the material, very high quality and much lighter in weight than...