or Connect

Posts by A Y

The Ultimate Self-Drifting Machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL_enMPWT7s
My arch-nemesis and frenemy Artisan Fan must first return in order to balance out the Audiophile Force. (And yes, the Audiophile Force runs balanced.)
Bickering is a time-honored activity of audiophilia. I"m happy to be on the sidelines than participating.
FP grind size is traditionally coarser than filter, because the filter mesh in most FPs have pretty big holes. The Espro has a much finer filter, and I'd try perhaps a bit-bigger-than-filter grind, and adjust to taste. The standard brew ratio is 6%, but that's mostly based on some averages of some survey taken a long time ago of many different people's recipes. It's not a magical ratio. I use 7.5%, and find 6% too weak. That's about 25 g grounds to 330 g of water. With...
Ouch. At least your home roasted coffee is cheap. I was trying to get as much volume in the Aeropress as possible, and probably didn't have the plunger in as deep as I should have. In a normal situation ( enough room for 220 grams of water), it hasn't felt insecure.Ind, interesting fact about the siphon. I know that the Aero's seal is good enough that once the plunger is on and right side up, it doesn't drip due to gravity.
My mistake in conflating Aeropress with the Steampunk, but the physics of both devices are much more similar than different: a pressure differential is what forces the coffee through the filter. Aero creates higher pressure above, while a siphon creates a vacuum below. In comparing a Yama stovetop siphon to an Aeropress, I have really not found any differences that are not attributable to filter (cloth in the Yama vs. paper or steel disk in the Aeropress) differences...
The Steampunk machines strike me as the coffee equivalent of Neopolitan cubic MoP shirt buttons. What's the difference between that and an Aeropress?
Dave Hickey, a somewhat controversial art critic who's also a car guy, makes an interesting case for the existence of planned obsolescence in cars by drawing parallels to the art market, and blames Harley Earl, the guy who elevated design at GM and the car industry in general, for it. Earl had introduced the 4-year life cycle at GM in the 50s. He lays out his reasoning in his essay, "The Birth of the Big, Beautiful Art Market" in his Air Guitar book. I think it's pretty...
Hmm, most espressos are around 2 oz, or 50-ish grams of liquid. Even if you overdose at 20+ grams, that's not even 50% in the portafilter before extraction. Surely TDS will be much lower in the resulting liquid?
Is a regular espresso really at 50% extraction ratio? That seems awfully high.Anyway, here's a guide to the coffee shot:http://sprudge.com/know-deal-mahlkonig-releases-coffee-shot-guide.html