or Connect

Posts by A Y

Conversely, roasting light is mostly a way to mask the roaster's lack of talent and experience.
Starbucks Reserve is not "overroasted." If anything, most of the trendy coffee places underroast. My local roaster does a light- to medium-roast Indonesian that is superb.
The normal FP has a much coarser filter mesh than the Espro, and sludge is pretty common at any grind size. I think you've been spoiled by the Espro.
One thing I'm very curious about is G&B's coffee shot. It's the cool new thing all the 3rd wave kids are doing: brewing drip coffee using an espresso machine with a resulting mid-20s extraction ratio. G&B are in the Grand Central Market.
If you're in the US, consider the Really Right Stuff TQC-14. The Gitzo GT1542T with an Arca-Swiss P0 head also works great. I use RRS plates and clamps on a P0 with Gitzo 1227 legs and Markins hub. It's okay, and kind of lives in the no man's land between portability and steadiness but I've had bits and pieces of my tripod for almost 20 years now, and made do with it. If I did it again, I'd get one of the two pods above and a much beefier main tripod, probably an RRS...
Single origin beans are really, really, really tough to pull as espressos. I'd say enjoy it in a conventional brew, and get a good espresso blend for the espresso. I know: not very adventurous, but there it is. Also +1 on pB's comments about roast levels: espresso really needs a dark roast. What's the bean and roaster that you tried?
Ah ha! That wasn't very clear. Thanks.
I won't believe it's vintage until someone lights it on fire. LL cloths must have gone up in price insanely. About the only thing I recall that was near that price were their cashmeres.
Thank you, but my eyes just about popped out of their sockets when I got to the price ...
I was asking my tailor about houndstooth flannel suitings, and it seems they're pretty thin on the ground. The StyFo-grail Minnis 0656 is apparently discontinued with no lengths left, and they could locate only 1 from Harrisons, 2 from Fox, and 1 from H&S. I asked for mid- to dark-grey. Any other ideas?