or Connect

Posts by A Y

There are more interesting and better Hawaiian coffees than Kona. Kona is supposed to be mellow and boring. Try Rusty's Hawaiian for some really interesting stuff --- you can mail order it. http://rustyshawaiian.com/ It's also grown on the big island of Hawaii, but in a newly developed growing region called Ka'u. I'd try either of the red or yellow Caturras first. Note that the prices are for half-pound bags, so it's pretty expensive, but well worth it.
Me too.otc, Peet's beans will bloom a lot more than light roasted beans, so just be careful of that.
I use 15g/225g. It ends up being 15.5 or whatever I can manage to pour out accurately, and same thing with the water: I end up somewhere around 225-240.20/160 will underextract a lot but it's not a hard rule: just do what tastes best to you, and some of it depends on the rest of your process, like grind size, steep time, how much you stir.
And if that doesn't work, a guard cat on a leash will take care of the rest.
While I've been enjoying my Aeropress and the Kaffeologie S filter, I think it's making more sensitive to paper taste in my coffee. pB, I'm curious to hear about the HandyBrew. Not only the coffee, but how hard it is to clean up afterwards.
You can add a little bit of salt to coffee to mask the bitterness. I do this for really bad espressos. edit: the new Handlebar African coffees are up on their website.
The Edward Green of coffee?http://dailycoffeenews.com/2014/03/31/startup-revelator-coffee-reveals-aggressive-plans-for-southern-growth/
I'm not sure what to say about this, because this seems completely wrongheaded. There is a spectrum of flavors in a bean. Your flavor profile is composed of how you balance those flavors against each other, and that is determined by your roasting profile. It's not bringing out peak flavors, because not everything hits peak at the same time. For example, roasting deeper caramelizes flavors, but how much of that caramel flavor do you want? And how do you balance that against...
I forgot to post this, but contact Handlebar via email: handlebarcoffee at yahoo.com, and they'll help you out. You might want to wait for a week as they're changing the roast a bit based on what they learned on the first roast. The first roast, which is what I got, is kind of unusual. A week out from the roast date, and this thing is blooming like crazy when I add water now. The first week, tepid; the 2nd week, crazy foam. Taste hasn't changed appreciably. It's actually...
Yes, the original when Coava was still selling them. I get more residue with the Able.LOL. Why didn't you go full #StyFoDude on them and complain about the sewing machine on the label? You should have been, “Fatte a mano. Look it up sometime.”Anyway, Handlebar is a bit slow on putting their new coffee on their site. I'll mention it to them the next time I'm there (probably today).