or Connect

Posts by A Y

That sounds great. I'll send you a PM for details. If we go to Handlebar tomorrow morning, you can see Aaron roasting.I was not a fan of coffees from the Americas until Handlebar convinced me to try one of theirs, and now I am. They roast for a more chocolate balance than acid. The acid is still there, but it's not searing like the 3rd-wavers like to do.Another place to try out is The Lark. I think it's actually better than Julienne.
Hey, you're in my town! Handlebar is my favorite roaster in town and possibly in the country, and Kim and Aaron are really great people too. Get their new Colombian as well as their Guatemala Bella Carmona for drip brew. Their affogato is pretty fantastic too. Around the corner is C'Est Cheese, with not only an amazing cheese selection, but also great pastries (but I might be biased since the pastry chef is a good friend). If you want dinner, check out Julienne right on...
Yes, it's good. A friend brought over some a couple of weeks ago, and I've had a bag or two in the last year.
I had a Nespresso Ristretto last week at a friend's house, and I was totally shocked at how good it was. I've had it before as a store sample, and wasn't impressed. I don't know what changed. Maybe my tastes have changed in moving from the acidic 3rd-wave style to a more traditional coffee flavor profile. The coffee wasn't the most nuanced or interesting thing, but it was sweet, balanced, and pleasant. Not much fruit flavors, but more chocolate, and the acid was pretty...
I think he called it a variant on cowboy coffee. It seems very simple to do, and can make a large amount of coffee, too.Yes, this is true, but brew time is not exactly the most easily controllable variable with pourover.
I tried high ratios for a while (7.5% or 25g/330g), and I think they work best with darker roasts, because they will tend to underextract. Not great for stuff that's already tending towards the acid side like Aeropress and light roasts. Cole Coffee in Berkeley is said to use something like 10% ratios in a pourover setup, but they like to roast dark, and I think most 3rd wavers would blanch at seeing how they do their pourover.
At the office, I use my modified Clover method (steep in an insulated container for 3 minutes, then pour it all into a CCD and let it filter through the paper filter), and I dump everything in as quickly as I can without causing a big mess. I stir pretty vigorously at the beginning with a fork to get everything mixed up, and then once again before I pour it into the CCD, mostly to get the grounds moving again so that they'll all pour out. The small spout might slow you...
FWIW, I have the travel-sized Bonavita, and it hasn't rusted, and except for scuffs on its plastic base, it looks new. It's my office kettle, and I've used it every weekday since May 2013. But, it's only seen filtered water, so maybe that has something to do with it? Before that I had the kettle Sweet Maria's used to sell that wasn't a Bonavita but had temperature control and a separate base. That one died I think from corrosion on the contacts between the base and...
A good survey article on Hawaiian coffees: http://www.coffeereview.com/hawaii-2014-classics-rule/ Hopefully, the islands will survive the hurricane with little damage.
He was the owner.