Posts by A Y

I did! Also, received my Kinu 47 last week, but the instructions are all in German, and I didn't want to dial it in on expensive coffee, so it's still unused. Here's a glamour shot of it before it gets dinged up with use:
Not sure where to post this: here or the Nespresso thread. The Nespresso people have released some kind of big book about coffee: http://dailycoffeenews.com/2017/02/08/nespresso-releases-556-page-book-the-craft-and-science-of-coffee/ It's very expensive though, but the editorial board looks very credible. Speaking of expensive, someone talk me out of buying some $170/lbs Yemen coffee please ...
The Aeropress paper filters are reusable quite a number of times: the inventor of the AP was notorious for reusing his. And this isn't new either: espresso-soaked cloth filters were (are?) thought to be superior to clean filters. YMMV, etc.
Extraction will slow down as more coffee enters the water, so 8 minutes won't give you twice as much extraction as 4 minutes. The Sweet Maria's crew measured the TDS (total dissolved solids) of a 4-minute vs. an 8-minute French press brew a while ago, and found that the 4-minute brew underextracted with an extraction ratio below 18%, which is the minimum extraction ratio many believe to be good for coffee. The 8-minute extraction got nearer to 20% which is near the top of...
I agree, and I think it's easier to overextract with espresso for some reason. I had a mocha at a local hipster shop recently, and could taste the overextraction through all the milk and chocolate. It was unfortunately the longest lasting aftertaste too. Kind of amazing in a bad way actually.BTW, the Lido and especially the Feldfarb let me live in that "overextraction" region with more pleasant notes than any other grinder I've used before.
The AWS scale I mentioned earlier have readouts to 0.1g, and are supposedly that accurate. It's also less than $22 on Amazon.
One thing I like about the Acaia scales is how fast they respond. The AWS are slightly sluggish if you leave them alone for a while.
I've used two of these scales for years and they're accurate, tough, and affordable: https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-AMW-SC-2KG-Digital/dp/B001RF3XJ2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1485977850&sr=8-4&keywords=american+weigh+scaleYou need to experiment. Just vary one parameter a little bit (or a lot to get a feel for it), and see how it goes.While not as useful as Belligero's photos, I made this photo of my Feldfarb recently:20170116-815433-Edit
1. Don't get bad coffee.2. Use a good grinder.3. Use good water.4. Use your brew parameters (temperature, steep, extraction style, stirring, grind size) to move along the under/overextraction spectrum.FWIW, my tastes lie in the upper right strong/overextracted part of the chart. There's no wrong part, just what you like.
Thanks guys for the comments about the Lido's vertical play. Glad it seems to be normal. Also, you don't want to miss this: http://www.peets.com/red-mocha-haraaz.html I had their last batch a few weeks ago, and it is one of the most unique coffees, with a fragrant, floral nose that you don't find very often in coffees. It's a little expensive, and it's roasted a bit lighter than the normal Peet's roast.