or Connect

Posts by A Y

Whoa. KitchenAid has an automatic, countertop siphon pot! The press pot with the built in scale looks interesting too, but maybe a bit gratuitous. http://dailycoffeenews.com/2015/08/12/vac-to-the-future-kitchenaid-unveils-automatic-siphon-coffee-brewer/
Yes, Rusty's Hawaiian: http://rustyshawaiian.com/ The Maui Mokka, and most of the limited editions are worth trying. I've not tried their regular stuff. I did not like their Kona Maragogype when I had it recently.
I don't think there are any good coffee books beyond the technical stuff Scott Rao writes. Some fluff, but I've never read the fluffy books, so I may be wrong. Gesha is the name of the area in Ethiopia where the varietal that the Peterson farm in Panama planted came from. It's said that there are hundreds if not thousands of unclassified coffee varietals in Ethiopia, and the locals just refer to them by their geographical location, eg. those hills over there. Compare this...
There's an Ethiopian Yirg called Chelbessa that Stumptown sometimes offers that you may like. It's washed, and roasted a bit light but is still very interesting and not too acidic. I haven't really noticed anything specific about Bourbons that are more influenced by their growing regions and processing styles than the bean itself. Catching up on random stuff. La Colombe has a really nice Gesha for a not unreasonable price of $36/lbs. They also have a crazy one that's...
This looks like a very interesting brewer. It's like an Aeropress, except the filter is placed in the pressing cylinder, and the coffee ends up in the pressing cylinder. http://www.waterbobble.com/black-stainless-steel-coffee-press
I just reread nahneun's post again, and missed that you were underextracting (too sour?), and I agree with Gibonius that your water temperature is probably causing that. Use the water just off boil or boiling, and that will definitely reduce the underextraction.
+1 on the experimentation. Go with what tastes good to you.
That's certainly long enough. How hot was your water? The standard recommendation is 4 minutes, but that's too short. Steeping is non-linear: twice the steep time will not get you twice the extraction because coffee gets harder to extract, and the water is becoming more saturated with coffee stuff, so the extraction slows down over time.
French press has to be pretty coarse because most presses have really coarse mesh filters that let a lot of stuff through, and most people steep their coffee for too short a time in the FP. Try doubling the steep time and see how it goes. Don't forget to stir the mixture too: grounds will settle to the bottom no matter what.
The VST baskets were the hot thing a few years ago: machined holes instead of stamped, and supposed to be very consistent in manufacture leading to more consistent extractions.Don't worry about it. Start with the manual's suggestions, and adjust the grind size from there. The worse that can happen is that you'll ruin a couple of cups of coffee.