or Connect

Posts by A Y

As Ed says, the Starbucks Reserve is pretty good, though it can be inconsistent. Find a Starbucks with a Clover, and you can get brews of the Reserve line. Or just spend it on coffee-flavored milkshakes: nothing wrong with that!
There are some serious people trying to grow the Vietnamese specialty coffee farms. I think they produce coffee already, but it's not very good. China is probably the other logical area.
It's kind of a sad fact that the great coffees of the world come from some of the most politically unstable regions in the world.
If you have a chance, try the Nigusse Lemma, a dry-process Ethiopian, from Barrington Coffee. It's coffees like this that make you wonder why the hell you're pay for anything more: huge floral and fruit notes with lots of sweetness, as well as a big but balanced acid note, and a lingering chocolate aftertaste. If all light roasted coffees were this good, there'd be no one making fun of the 3rd wave hipsters. It's $17 for 12 ounces.
Aeropress is good for individual servings, but you might want to consider a French press (press pot, etc.) if you need more coffee. It's about the most foolproof method of making coffee.
Coffee in Paris is pretty damned bad. First, everything is espresso. If you want more, they make you an Americano. Very few places serve filter or drip coffee, and their efforts were not impressive. The espresso menu is also pretty limited: straight espresso, Americanos or lattes. No mochas or anything else. People are pretty friendly though, and there's a culture of a long, lingering visits and sitting, so it's not unusual to sit in a cafe for a long time.
I didn't visit any cafes this weekend in NYC, but had a Cronut instead, and Ansel serves La Colombe coffee, which I generally like, but not at his shop. How the hell did a chewy, tough, cold jelly donut become and remain so popular? And the quotations on the walls? Just pretentious. The coffee service was quite bad too: the barista made 2 or 3 espresso drinks before putting a cup under the brew coffee spout to dispense the drink.
Please do. Have you checked out Socratic Coffee on Instagram?Crema is like the conspicuous pick-stitching of the coffee world: overrated, and kind of nasty on its own.For samplers, I don't know of anyone that sells coffee in that low of a volume: you'll want more than that to really hone the brew parameters too. Just get the regular 12-oz bags, and you'll be done in 2-3 weeks: the differences we're talking about here aren't so great that it will make a coffee be...
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It sounds like there's a lot to try, probably more than there's time!They are available, and I don't know why there aren't more --- perhaps some kind of weird bias for central Americans and Africans? The specialty importers like Royal and Coffee Shrub advocate for them, too.Anyway, Barrington had an awesome Kintamani earlier this summer. I'm drinking a Sumatra from Kean right now (it's potentially good, but is a bit too close to the...
Any suggestions for coffee places to try out in the Chelsea area of NYC?