or Connect

Posts by A Y

Handlebar fans: they're about to offer their first natural process Ethiopian, as well as their first Kenyan bean ever. I believe the Ethiopian is this one: http://www.royalcoffee.com/Products/0032543 One of the best coffees I've ever had was a natural process from the Gedeo region offered by Coffea Roasterie a few years ago, so I have very high expectations for this one.
Yes definitely, but subjecting the same bean from the same harvest to 3 different processing methods is a bit gimmicky. I wish they'd make up their mind and give us what they think is the best expression of that harvest for that year.But only if you use the right kind of honey and yeast. Obviously, free-range bees and heirloom yeasts.
Sorry I have no experience with Delonghi, but I don't see why it won't suffer from the same kinds of problems that other 1-touch machines have.
Nespresso with a separate milk foamer thing will be cheaper and much better than any of the one-touch machines, but you have to do some extra work.
It's kind of a trendy thing to process the same bean three different ways. Honey is a hybrid of wet and dry, said to give the best of both worlds. I've had good and bad examples of each of the processes, and which one you use depends on many other factors, many of which have nothing to do with taste. For example, wet-process is very water-intensive, and can't be used in places with little water. Same with drying processes --- some work better in areas with lots of rainfall...
Strawberries (and blueberries) are usually a sign of dry (or natural) process milling. In the dry process, the coffee bean (the seed of the coffee cherry) is dried with the fruit still on it, and this causes fermentation. Wet process milling strips the fruit away from the seed before drying. The degree of fermentation could be how long they leave the fruit on?
Glad you enjoyed the coffee!This weekend I was in Seattle for a day, and got to try a pourover from Victrola, and an espresso from Espresso Vivace. The pourover was meh --- watered down, generic tasting. The espresso however was excellent. High acidity, but balanced with a lot of chocolate notes. If I lived in Seattle, they could easily convert me back to liking espresso. The espresso was pulled really ristretto: I would be surprised if there was more than an ounce of...
Excellent choice! Probably the most unique coffee of your stash, not that the others are bad. I had more of the Yemen today.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Dry processing is probably the oldest and most primitive way of milling coffee, and I think all the Yemeni coffees I've heard of is dry processed.
Were your ears burning? We ended up nerding out about wine and local produce more than coffee. Also, this sentence must occur in every StyFo meetup message exchange: “I thought you're white!” I've been drinking this recently: http://www.gocoffeego.com/products/Bird-Rock-Coffee/Yemen-Haraaz-Red-Maraqaha-3704.html It's sold out, but it's really excellent, with lots of berry sweetness that you can even smell without brewing it.