or Connect

Posts by A Y

This looks like a very interesting brewer. It's like an Aeropress, except the filter is placed in the pressing cylinder, and the coffee ends up in the pressing cylinder. http://www.waterbobble.com/black-stainless-steel-coffee-press
I just reread nahneun's post again, and missed that you were underextracting (too sour?), and I agree with Gibonius that your water temperature is probably causing that. Use the water just off boil or boiling, and that will definitely reduce the underextraction.
+1 on the experimentation. Go with what tastes good to you.
That's certainly long enough. How hot was your water? The standard recommendation is 4 minutes, but that's too short. Steeping is non-linear: twice the steep time will not get you twice the extraction because coffee gets harder to extract, and the water is becoming more saturated with coffee stuff, so the extraction slows down over time.
French press has to be pretty coarse because most presses have really coarse mesh filters that let a lot of stuff through, and most people steep their coffee for too short a time in the FP. Try doubling the steep time and see how it goes. Don't forget to stir the mixture too: grounds will settle to the bottom no matter what.
The VST baskets were the hot thing a few years ago: machined holes instead of stamped, and supposed to be very consistent in manufacture leading to more consistent extractions.Don't worry about it. Start with the manual's suggestions, and adjust the grind size from there. The worse that can happen is that you'll ruin a couple of cups of coffee.
Oops, sorry about that. His Instagram account has a lot more stuff: https://instagram.com/socraticcoffee/. His official website is his publishing site, so he only puts things on there that has complete experimental data.You have to taste it, and that should be final arbiter for any method, but I get that other cues are helpful especially if you don't want to drink too much coffee. I'd change the variable that's easiest to change first, which is usually grind size or water...
Is that green coffee thing the same thing as cascara? Cascara is a tea made from dried coffee cherries. I've seen some of coffee shops offer that, including one of the big ones. Another coffee shop in Hawaii I can highly recommend is The Curb. They have a few locations and they're closer to a pop up store than a traditional cafe. They serve various Hawaiian coffees (including Rusty's), Olympia, and Intelligentsia. Great casual atmosphere, and really open to experimenting:...
1 week is not too bad in the grand scheme of things. I wonder how much preground changes with a month or longer.
Able's experiment would seem to indicate that preground is preferable to the whirly blade, but they don't really say how long they let the whirly blade run, so it's hard to duplicate their experiment: http://ablebrewing.com/blogs/news/7418084-pre-ground-quality-grinder-vs-blade-grinder