or Connect

Posts by A Y

Wow, that was fast! There was some stock when I posted.
Made By Knock is having a 20% sale on their Feldgrind hand grinders with cosmetic flaws. If you want an amazing grinder (it's the best grinder I've used), here's your chance. http://www.madebyknock.com/store/p32/JANUARY_2017_CLEAROUT_SALE%3A__20%25_reduced_BLACK_%26_COLOUR_FELDGRIND_2NDS.html
Thanks but I'm just an interested enthusiast. Lots of good resources out there to learn from. For example, Sweet Maria's summaries of various varietals from around the world:https://www.sweetmarias.com/Look under Green Coffee, and click on one of their regions. For example, their summary of Kenya (which my experience agrees with) is that it has big acidity. I think of it as closer to what the Central Americans do and never really thought it as fruit forward, which was why...
They're one of the great coffee producing regions of the world, and they've had a pretty great season so far. Coffee quality will ebb and flow in quality in different years, just like other produce, but the usual suspects (Ethiopia, Kenya, Central America, some South Americans, some Indonesians) will always be in the mix, and you can't go wrong with any of them in most any year.
Mocha Java blends are a pretty classic blend that lots of roasters offer .... well, except for 3rd wave hipster dudes. But I think we were talking about Arabian Mocha Sanani, which is coffee that comes entirely from Yemen. Mocha Java is a blend of Yemen and Indonesian beans: you have to be careful when getting AMS from Peet's that they don't mistakenly give you their Mocha Java blend because the names are so close.
Different strokes. I think Peet's is a better benchmark than SBux, but it's not so available outside of California. Their Ethiopian Supernatural is in-stock again, too.
Not really. Buy less coffee, drink more, or just live with the degradation after a couple of weeks. The degradation isn't really that big a deal. Getting a decent burr grinder and a scale would be a much bigger improvement to your coffee than trying to vacuum pack them. I don't drink that much coffee: 2 12 oz cups a day, using between 15-37g of coffee.
Look at the crack between the two "cheeks" of the bean: dry process is dark, washed is light. Not sure if this is due to skin or something else.
I just placed a deposit for their next run of the m47 grinder. It's about $275 shipped to the US.
That tag makes me want to punch that coffee in the face. Here's another way to get more consistent dosing: measure the amount of coffee after you've ground them so bean sizes won't matter (different bean varietals are different sizes and roasting changes their weight, so it's totally inaccurate to measure beans by volume). I wonder if the amount of coffee you're using is off: you may want to use less or more, and see if that gets you more flavor.