or Connect

Posts by A Y

Hi guys, Wow, JetBlast is back! I haven't checked this thread in a while. It looks like a couple of people switched to Fuji? I tried the X100T recently, and didn't get along with it, mostly having to do with my preferences for image quality. It doesn't means it's bad, just that it's not right for me. I sold off my m43 kit, and have gone FF with a Nikon D810. My standard kit these days is the D810, Nikkor 24PCE, Voigtlander 180/4, and Sigma DP3M, along with a lightly...
If you home roast, you can try a much wider array of varietals than what most people can find in stores. Kona coffee is boring. If you want to try interesting and very good Hawaiian coffees, try Rusty's Hawaiian. The Ka'u region on the Big Island of Hawaii (where Kona is, too) has far more interesting stuff coming out of it. http://rustyshawaiian.com/ Any of their roasted coffee is really excellent.
I'd do it, but I need to shop for a plaid shirt and figure out how to grow a beard first.This thread welcomes everyone with open arms from the nerds to the pod-drinkers.Yes. Serious reason: you can't measure accurately with volume because different bean varietals have different sizes and densities, eg. 1 Tsp of Yemen weighs far more than 1 Tsp of Maragogype. Also, once it's much faster to weigh out stuff than to measure. Here's a pretty cheap one that lots of people use (I...
I'm not sure I understand indesertum's explanation, but extraction is measured by the total dissolved solids in the coffee cup. Underextraction doesn't necessarily make for a weaker cup but is usually characterized by sourness, because not enough of the coffee was dissolved (or extracted from the grounds) to get more flavors that take more time and energy to extract. You can pulse or stir or both or whatever --- they're just tools to get more extraction, and the suggestion...
Whatever else you do, use the pulse method or stir the slurry vigorously as you pour, otherwise you'll have really underextracted coffee. Your ratio would have led to even more underextraction (around 8.5%?). Curious why you're using Chemex.
My CCDs have never leaked. I have dropped them and broken the little nipple thing off, but of the 3 or 4 I've had, none have leaked. The plastic seems to get brittle over time though, as I've also broken the valve nipple by washing it. Another way around the leaking is to steep your coffee elsewhere and just pour it through the CCD. I guess in that case, you could just use of the pourover cones.
I think an Indonesian coffee may suit guccihomme too. Peet's has their Sumatra Batak on sale right now. I enjoyed it the last time they offered that coffee. Stuff from the Toarco farm in that area is also excellent, and is offered by several roasters. OmniscientCause, go with a manual grinder. The powered ones are pretty noisy. Any of the ones you name will be fine, though none are great at coarse sizes, except for the OE. I don't think that's particularly important given...
It's very similar to Aeropress. So similar that it's not worth the trouble to set the whole contraption up and clean it afterwards. It does look cool though.
The French Press at their original location on State Street.Excellent, spreading the love! I didn't know Birdrock had more of that Yemeni. If anyone wants to try something really special, that Yemeni coffee is it.
I've mentioned this before, but a local 3rd wave shop remade an espresso for me after I didn't drink it for 10 minutes because I ran into a friend and we talked for a while. I didn't even have to ask --- they kind of stealthily took my cup and put another one there.