or Connect

Posts by Kohan

My SO insists on picking me up every night I work, instead of letting me make the 15-minute walk, "because it's cold!" She also does a much better job on my eyebrows than I ever could. Does a convincing job of making it look like I have two normal ones, instead of a large venomous caterpillar intent on eating my face. AND, she perfected making absolutely perfect challah, which is a tricky mofo to bake. It's gorgeously delicious. Then she bakes loaves for me to take...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ataturk I just couldn't get past the part where he tries to compare health care reform with the mechanization of agriculture--unless government motors is going to start making gigantic mechanical nursing homes. It's a comparison between processes, not policies. The point is that it would be unrealistic to assume Congress, in its infinite wisdom and pragmatism, could legislate a single approach to fixing healthcare...
A Love Supreme is absolutely on par with Kind of Blue as far as musicality and brilliant ingenuity are concerned, I agree (especially since I play sax and near-worship Coltrane), but there's something about the mix of voices on Kind of Blue that puts it on the top of my playlist. There really is something extraordinary about a Miles solo fading into Cannonball, then to Coltrane, then to Bill Evans. Indescribably magnificent. That having been said, A Love Supreme teaches...
I hadn't heard about this, thanks OP for posting the article. JustinW, The consumerism of it all is a little gross, and not just Christmas gets tarnished by it -- Chanukah has also been hijacked. We don't even have somebody's birthday to celebrate, yet every freaking night people give/get presents. That was wonderful as a little kid, but now it's all a little uncomfortable. There's more to celebrating the holiday than that, and most families I know emphasize the...
Kind of Blue is, without question, my favorite album in the history of music. I get emotional just thinking about the first time I heard it... Definitely a religious experience. I also really like this for legislative activity... Congress should spend more time talking about jazz. Hell, everybody should spend more time talking about jazz. Listening to it, too. Not cool that most people can sing "Poker Face" but not even hum the opening bars to "So What."
Quote: Originally Posted by montecristo#4 Some of us can imagine a scenario where man is a small contributor to global warming. Others think that sabotaging the global economy is not the answer, and that geo-engineering is the only way to deal with the problem given the fact that countries like China aren't going to stop building coal plants. Still more think (corrently) that there are far more imminent environmental ills with catastrophic potential than...
Local TV meteorologists may conduct research, but it's a world apart from that being carried out by scientists who spend zero time in the Channel 4 Action Chopper or at the annual Turkey Trot. Oh, and AF, Nick Naylor called, he's sending you a fruit basket and wants your address. When a researcher gets his funding from the oil and gas companies, CHANCES are he isn't going to come out with a damning report on the colossal havoc being wrecked on our planet by his...
Quote: Originally Posted by montecristo#4 The amount of fail in this statement surpasses comprehension. Thank you, I aspire to greatness.
Quote: Originally Posted by Artisan Fan I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Wealthy people investing their money is bad for the economy? Huh? Doesn't that capital get put to use and create jobs? Investment here has two very different meanings. In the economics-textbook sense of the word, yes, wealthy people investing their money in land and capital structures is good for the economy. This lays the foundation for later...
I love when people post from sites like the heritage foundation, it's like quoting Vladimir Putin to prove that Russia's war against Georgia was responsible and humane. You know what else impedes economic growth, AF? The wealthiest 1% of Americans playing investment roulette with large chunks of the money stock, by investing disgusting heaps of capital into mutual funds that implode. THAT slows growth. And tax evasion is as commonplace as BMWs for the...