or Connect

Posts by Flambeur

Low price? Per share or relative? What are you basing your valuation on?
I agree. I've had plenty of corporate experience before going for my PhD, so I am completely there with you. I'm lucky, and it motivates much of my research work with anecdotal/qualitative evidence.To be fair, I honestly don't know which one is objectively better in my case, mostly because the future is so unpredictable, but also because trade-offs and benefits of each are so different.Don't get me wrong, I don't give a fuck about rate my professors either, but lay people...
Pretty spot on. Do you mind sharing which field you're in?I thought long stretches of independence would be amazing, but to be honest, the constant pressure to publish and to remain competitive and relevant among your peers combined with lack of structure add up to making it less pleasant than one might think.I also enjoy my anonymity, but that can be tough when 100s of students know you and you keep running into them everywhere, or worse yet, get into a tough situation...
Thanks for the response. The intellectual payoff has been absolutely fucking worth it so far. Career payoff? Probably, and maybe having options is always good. I agree with you on innovation, but that's pretty typical - we search for truth instead of chasing fads, right?One of the issues in my field is that the movement between academic and private sector is pretty limited for research faculty. Unlike many other disciplines (Economics, Engineering, etc.) people don't...
I really enjoyed the finale. It wasn't perfect, but few of those things are exactly what we expect them to be. I did love the last few minutes precisely because it was a good mix of same old Don and some sort of progressive movement in time.Here is a pretty decent writeup placing it in the context that I haven't seen posted here yet:http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/05/18/the-annotated-mad-men-don-draper-buys-the-world-a-coke
I most definitely prefer Mad Men to BB. Not even a serious question for me. BB was fantastic, all time great show, but Mad Men is different and special on a whole another level.
Should we start a poll for the final episode?
-Realizing how Pete's character developed to a point where I was more excited about his story than Don's.-Betty's unexpected trouble and how both her and her family handled it-Don on a journey and realizing that hiding from his identity and being a con man are not quite the same thing-Probably a few more things that I am forgetting
I was wondering about the last couple of episodes, but this last one was amazing and really powerful.