or Connect

Posts by SGladwell

Quote: Originally Posted by edmorel Quite frankly, I find this thread and the one questioning door opening etiquette to be more disgusting than any of the gay threads I've been involved in. Ugh. Sounds like it's a good thing I never opened that one...
Just thought I'd leave a heads up that I'm not going to be around for a while. I will be vacating my house this week - indeed, this post is to some degree just another attempt to avoid the drudgery of packing up two year's worth of one's life and a lifetime of one's worldly possessions - and moving up the coast into my fiancee's flat. Then it's some me time: I'm going with my future father-in-law to Vienna for a week, which will include both of us being measured for our...
EG: don't remember. 2002 maybe? JL: Still haven't crossed that particular bridge. Vass: Probably a week from now. As for others: Ferragamo Tramezza: A while ago. I can't pinpoint exactly. Late 1990s I think. Weston: 1995 Ludwig Reiter: 1997 or 1998 Georg Materna: 2001 Alden: 1996 AE: 2005 RM Williams: 2006 Lattanzi (Jil Sander): 2001 I think but it might have been late 1990s. Grenson MP (Bennie's): 2006 Mantellassi: 2003 I think
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton The Hitler/Stalin comparison is invidious. Overwrought hyperbole, certainly. As for the second part of my comparison, I wasn't so much thinking of Stalin so much as Brezhnev, though: dour, inept, and hopelessly chained to antique modes of thinking. Quote: Originally Posted by Manton The Church long ago corrected itself. I don't disagree. But sometimes when Ratzinger opens his...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton I would bet a pair of Greens that you know that Church changed the name and mission of the office 200 years ago. You may think that what it is doing now is identical to what it was doing in the late Middle ages, but if so that would only serve to confirm the suggestion I made in my prior post. As I understand it, the name changed [edit] ninety-nine years ago and again [/edit] in 1965, not 200 years ago. So...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton This is, to put it charitably, crap. How so? When has Ratzinger ever done anything remotely in the spirit of Vatican II? Moreover, is it "crap" that Ratzinger was "Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith," which is modern Catholic-ese for Grand Inquisitor? Then again, I can't say I'm that interested in inter-Catholic squabbling. Not being one and all. But given his history and other...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Why? Once again, all he is doing is restating Church teaching that has been around for 30 years at least. But Ratzinger's whole raison d'etre is to roll back all of the advancements that Catholicism made ~45 years ago. His last gig was, after all, Grand Inquisitor.
Harrod's has some single link cuffs in their house brand usually. They claim English manufacture but are only on about T&A's level. I own one in white. Neimans will generally carry single link cuff shirts from the Swedish brand Eton in a few colors as well. They're not great and I wouldn't buy them at MSRP. At NMLC outlets they can drop to the $20 range, at which point if they fit you well it's a no brainer.
Is this question one that really needs to be asked of a gentleman? There is some cultural variation - I found when I was living in Germany that German girls prefer to pay on their own, without any apparent crimping of after-dinner activities, though it still made me uncomfortable - but in general I think it's unbecoming to even ask the question.
Quote: Originally Posted by zjpj83 Absolutely not. You can believe in the Big Bang and evolution, and also believe that a deity had some prior role in the big bang with intent/knowledge that evolution would happen. I do, in fact. I believe in evolution, in dinosaurs, in cavemen, etc. I also believe that while scientists know about Big Bang, they don't know how the matter got there in the first place. And if you believe in a deity, it certainly is...