or Connect

Posts by koolhistorian

Quote: Originally Posted by Sir Arthur Denton Thank you for this, I think this is sound advice for the tie, and thank you to the user abover - I may well go with a blue shirt. What would anyone think of a burgundy shirt and grey tie? And am I right in assuming a striped tie is a no-go? I would love to wear a check tie with it but I feel I would have to match the plaid exactly or risk a clash. Burgundy shirt???? That will be Neapolitan...
Depends on the fabric weight - if it is a more full, flannel like goes in more chilly weather, if it is a light one spring-summer. Essentially the PoW is a sporting - travel fabric - '30 casual dress - that had been brought into the lime light by the then Prince of Wales, later Edward the VIII, later Duke of Windsor. Definitively not a CBD, but can be very versatile as a morning- afternoon suit if you are not in law and banking. Final line - if you like it wear it. You can...
Good work, and yes old east european artisans are still having their pride in the trade. He even had done some re-lasting on the uppers!
Gentlemen, There is a solid amount of group think here, and I am very sorry to contradict Manton, but there is a clue to that - you are americans, so you have some very different dress rules than people over seas. There are at least two combinations that can work well - one is camel colored coat (cashmere, preferably) blue shirt, dark blue or navy tie, cognac shoes and belt (you are doing two primary colors) or more tone on tone airforce blue with navy glen check coat with...
There are some questions that you have to put to yourself: 1. What is the budget that you dispose of ? 2. Your current job requires a suit? 3. How do you feel in a jacket and tie, plus leather soled shoes? Aside the case in which you suddenly dispose of a great quantity of money (lottery, inheritance, etc), a wardrobe change will cost you, so a certain amount of planning is necessary! Even with e-bay, sales, etc, you will need some budget to do that, and if you are a...
Are you speaking about this one? http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c...&feature_id=18 My only problem is that is a poly something, from my experience traveling in man made fiber is not very comfortable. A natural fiber jacket will wrinkle more, but you can complement it with a travel steamer (or use the "Road warrior instant dry cleaner" - i.e. let it steam in the hotel bathroom).
Being on the portly side myself I will throw the 2 cents - most important is the cut, not the style. Let me elaborate on that - my actual tailor really shaves me at least 10 kg with his cut, including with waistcoats. So, in my view the most important thing is to get a very good fit - which off the rack suits normally do not have, as they are destined to rather standard figures, rather to non-standard ones. I know that it is a more costly venture, but when it is well done,...
Same with Romania - also EU. Just use a Intl Signed for Parcel (or equivalent), or UPS, Fedex. etc. With the weak dollar and the strong euro, plus the fact that always prices were lower in the US (even when the dollar was very strong) you have a good bargain on state side shopping. Insure the package for lost in transit (it happens) so you and the buyer are protected!
You should try "italian patina" in order to make the vamps evenly (Martegani Berluttizied). If you are going to die them, at least you can try it before - some streaks of red (Saphir Hermes red, or Mahagony) and some Cognac (which is yellow based) cream, and then try to put different red and yellow based wax. Btw, following some info from this forum I've managed to de-polish some shoes using shampoo (for human hair), and it had gone on several layers of polish and cream up...
Quote: Originally Posted by money-mike I hope this pic is good enough... I took it the other day... The weird specs are due to my dirty mirror Thank you so much for your thoughts!!! Style Forum has really gotten me thinking about how I dress... hopefully I'll be able to afford better suits (rather than having to buy cheap-ish fabric ones online!) My grandmother used to say: I am too poor to wear anything else than "english fabrics"! A...